Grand Princess Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Read this review

Sail Date: January 01, 2010

The ship is old; however, that is no excuse for the lack of maintenance. On every wall [just about] there was wallpaper bubbling up and peeling in just about every public stairway. There was a hole in the drapes. The metal on our balcony was rusted and had eroded from [what appeared to be bird droppings], the carpet was coming up and even torn in the public areas. The wood was deteriorating all over the ship. Now before you say hes just one of those that cannot be satisfied, please let me explain further. My wife and I are simple blue-collar workers. We worked all year, saving every penny to take this vacation. I realize this is an Ocean Vessel that is exposed to the elements and maintenance is an ongoing chore for the employees I can cut anyone some slack. But let me say this Princess is a multi-million [if not billion] dollar company. This ship should be retired or taken in for a major overhaul. Rust, wood decay, torn carpeting, paint, and seriously out dated dcor should be addressed by Princess. This ship does float it does sail fine it will take you where you want to go but put it this way it is just like a city bus big on functionality low on style. Book this ship as your first cruise and you likely will not take another. Im not being hateful just honest.

Pros: Itenerery

Cons: Service

Recommends Grand Princess? No.

They had to change out our bed mattress - put an eggshell cover on the bed - and put a piece of plywood under the mattress to level out the mattresses. The beds are HORRIBLE - not just ours - if you are expecting to get some rest on this ship - think again. Other passengers had the same experience - we asked - so it's not just me being over reactive.
Ship size is fine shes neither the biggest nor the smallest. You will find that the employee to passenger ratio is NOT good. Lets face it, the economy is in the tank and this affects all companies Princess is no exception. The employees are worked to death at least our cabin steward was. I was told by other passengers that the stewards went from 3-5 cabins to maintain to 9-10 cabins. That is HUGE when you watch what they do for you on a daily basis. Dcor like I said earlier was very outdated; now keep in mind that the ship is 10 years old and cruise ships had different ideas about fashion back then think of it as a 80s type ship. Gold everywhere, blue carpet, white travertine tiles. If you like to watch TV Land and re-runs of Starsky & Hutch, Charlies Angels, and Love Boat, then this is your ship! Cleanliness IS poor. The bathrooms [at least the Mens bathroom and yes, as a guy I know how funky a guys bathroom can be that is taken into account] were smelly and o
Lets see where to begin. Food quality was horrible. Does that say it clear enough? Fruits were not ripe [unless you like green bananas, tart pineapple, mushy apples, tart grapefruit with a lot of seeds, and green cantaloupe]. A typical breakfast is hard scrambled eggs salmon locks with a film on the fish some undercooked potatoes of some configuration, and lots of bread. How do you screw up a ham & cheese omelet they managed time and time again. The coffee is institutional grade syrup this is fused with water as it comes out the spigot. If you want good coffee you got to pay end of story. By the way, can milk really be warm or room temperature all day long without consequences? Lunch was as much recycling as they could get away with. Integrate some institutional grade tuna fish sand witches, some bizarre foods no one could identify since the cooks were from Croatia and former Soviet block [no I am not slamming their origin they just have differing views on what food is] an
If you like watching TV and movies on a big screen outside - this may be your kind of ship - otherwise - no rock climbing wall - no cool water slides - not the best talent at the shows but ...hey I will admit that after the first "taste" of the seminars/talks/shows/ and BINGO -we kind of dismissed the entertainment for the remainder of the cruise. The casino was O.K. - we actually won some money [or stayed even at least] so that was a bright spot.