Filter reviews by

755 Golden Princess Reviews

Sorted by

Golden Princess Alaska Inside Passage by ddavidsonwribbe

Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Alaska - Inside Passage

Who: On this cruise was me (44), my husband (46) and our son (13).

Where: Alaska Inside Passage

When: May 2014

Why: We decided to take a cruise because we thought it would be the best way to experience Alaska and its many cities and give us a chance for an up close view of the many icebergs.

Ship: Golden Princess

Who: This cruise was my husband’s idea and both my son and I were very happy to oblige him. On the cruise the average age seemed to be late 50's. There were a few families, but not many (my son was the only 13 year old male on the ship), but this worked for us because we wanted more family time. There were never any out of control parties or drunken people stumbling on the decks (if you're looking for a party this is not the cruise to take). Every passenger we had an opportunity to speak with was very nice. No complaints at all.

Where: Alaska Inside Passage was everything we expected. We visited Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Glacier Bay, and Victoria.

Juneau was beautiful and we booked a hiking excursion to see the Mendenhall Glacier. We were informed that the bears are in the process of waking from their hibernation, but we never encountered one (although a few of the passengers that took the hike later in the day had a black bear cross their path). The hike was easy. There were no large hills to hike and it was only about 3/4's of a mile. Once we made it to the glacier there was a beautiful waterfall and a sandy beach to watch the ice float by. We paid $47 per person, but if you wanted to do this without booking an excursion I believe there is a bus that will take you to this area for $10. Just do your researches before you go. I chose to pay for the excursion because it was hassle free.

We were an hour and a half late to port and the ship staff was much unorganized and many passengers became angry for having to wait more than hour in line to get off the ship.

Skagway: An older town with older structures and a lot to see. We decided not to book an excursion and site see on our own. For $5 you can purchase a bus ticket that will drop you off and pick you up at different stops all over town. We found out that there was a graveyard outside of town and decided to hike out there and take a look. This hike was on flat land, no hills, and was about a mile one way. There are excursions that will take you to this gravesite, but we wanted to hike.

We were an hour late to port, but by this time either the staff understood how to organize disembarkation better or the passengers decided to wait to disembark.

Ketchikan: Was so beautiful with many stores and things to do. My husband and son decided they wanted to do the rainforest zip-line adventure. It was a little pricey and $149 a person, but I am glad they did it. Both had a great time and could not so enough about the experience and people running the excursion. I stayed in town and did some shopping. *Keep in mind if you don't venture off the beaten path you will see the same souvenirs in every port.*

Again we were an hour late.

Glacier Bay: We sailed through Glacier Bay and had the opportunity to hear and see the glacier break off and crash into the sea. Like visiting the Grand Canyon and taking in all its beauty this is one of those things that you should experience. The cruise line picked up a few rangers and used the ships load speaker to describe what we were seeing and give us an overview of the area’s history. While cruising through Glacier Bay we had the opportunity to Orca whales. They were very beautiful and majestic. It was a treat to see them in the wild.

Victoria: We had less than two hours and we docked very late in the day (8pm). This did not give us any time to explore the city. We visited one shop and then had to get back on the bus and return to the ship, so unfortunately not much to tell here.

We were an hour late and unfortunately because of this our stay in Victoria was only for an hour.

When: We took this trip in May of 2014 and brought jeans, t-shirts, hoodies and thin thermal sleeveless jackets. This was enough to keep us warm. The temperatures ranged from 45-65 degrees. It did rain on one or two occasions, but we loved it.

Why: Why not. Alaska is a beautiful area of the country and we wanted to see as much of the state as possible without having to pack our bags and hop on a flight every other night.

Ship: We booked the Golden Princess. It is a beautiful ship with many areas to explore. We booked cabin D735. This is a cabin at the back of the ship with a larger than normal balcony and only one cabin on the left side of us. There are large solid partitions that block your neighbors and offer complete privacy. The cabin was small, but we were all very comfortable. The beds were very nice. My son and I fit them perfectly, but my 6'1" husband had a little trouble keeping his toes covered :) There is a small refrigerator, a TV (that airs newer movies), a vanity/desk, a large closet, and a small bathroom with an even smaller shower. Again this all worked for us. Once you figured out how to wash your feet it was easy. We heard the water churn, but we all loved it. It was very soothing. There wasn’t a lot of movement on a regular basis, but one night. We could feel the ship rise and fall. I got a little sea sick, but took some Dramamine and it seemed to pass.

Food: On this ship there is normal dining, a buffet, pizza shop, hamburger and hotdog shop, coffee shop, and ice-cream shop. The food is covered with the cost of the cruise, but the beverages (anything except tap water) are extra. We decided to purchase the Ultimate Beverage Card ($49 per person). This gave us all we could drink (except alcohol and bottled water) for the entire trip. Again this was a cost well worth it. I'm not a big buffet person and I'm not big on formal dinners either. The great thing about a cruise is the choices you have. We did the buffet and food shops more than we did the nightly dinners. I didn't think the food was anything to rave about. It was just ok. If I was on land and had a choice I would not eat on the ship.

Ship Staff: Our cabin steward was the nicest person on the ship. He always had a smile and did what he was supposed to do and did it very well. Unfortunately not all the ship staff wanted to be there. Many seemed unhappy, not willing to smile, and ready to argue if the need arises. For booking this cruise we received two free dinners at one of their specialty restaurants. Unfortunately we could not make the time they booked for us (9pm) so I called the dine-line and was connected to a very rude women who before I was even able to tell I wanted to cancel the dinner gave me a lecture on the fact that there are 1,300 people on the ship and that I couldn't have it my way. After she was done lecturing me I told her all I wanted to do was cancel the reservation so someone else could use it. Her reply was, "I can't help you" and she hung up. Other staff members did their job and for the most part did them well, but they were just not very friendly. For example, my son loved the tropical mock-tale and he decided he wanted another one. He went to the bar tender and asked for a second one. The bartender looked at him rolled his eyes and huffed. I told the bartender if it was too much trouble we could go to the next bar, but my comment was met with silence. I don't expect people to chat me up, but I do expect a smile. The other issues I have with the staff are the managers. You see pictures of them in the daily ship planner, but you never see them moving around the ship. I think this may help with the customer service levels from their direct reports. There was a total of three staff members that we came in contact with that were very nice and looked like they wanted to be there, most of the others were there to do a job and were nothing to criticize or commend.

What I have realized about my family after having taken this cruise is that we are not cruising people. We had a great time together and the ease of not having to move from hotel to hotel is priceless. We like to do things on our own schedule, we like dinning in nice restaurants, and we like being around people that either have a good time at what they do or can fake it. We will probably never take a 7 day Princess cruise again, but we will take a three day cruise or try a different cruise line. Overall I would say this was a great time my family had together playing cards and Ping-Pong.

Alaska was wonderful excellent cruise by painter51gs

Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Alaska - Inside Passage

We had a wonderful time on the cruise. crew members extremly helpful and courtiest , our cabin was always clean and neat thanks to mini. food was good . other passangers  on cruise very feindly as a whole. anouncements where always acuite and self explanitary. disinbarking at a few ports was not organized as it could have been , but keep in mind this was the first cruise of the season.

Treated like cattle by theseeds

Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Alaska - Inside Passage

The cruise was wonderful. The staterooms were clean. The steward was attentive and did a good job. The food was excellent. Anytime dining was a good choice. We met a lot of good people. The cruise director was very good and the comedian and magical were great. Watching movies in the princess theater was great. Now what wasn't so great. The embarking in Seattle took over 2hours and was a real mess. It needs vast improvements. I think it needs a better organizational system. It reminded me if Dr. Temple Grandin. She specializes in making cattle corralled more gentle. You need to take some lessons in how to make 8 individual lines more amenable. It was a disaster grace to the service industry. Then keeping a timetable. We were late arriving at every port. Only to have the same mess disembarking especially in Juneau standing in line over 11/2 hours. Senior citizens having to find places to sit. Then going off the ship only to mass confusion with excursions. My excursion was fine but my son's was delayed which adversely affected our Evening whale watching. He had to leave his beer tasting and run at least 1 mile in order to make the second excursion. We were late at every port which caused mass confusion with disembarking. Especially Victoria British Columbia where all excursions but two were cancelled. Our excursion was to to meet in the casino. We were exposed to cigarette smoke for an hour. Then lead down stairs to the crew exit. Where I feared for my life. Somehow people found stairs and began to over run us. It was horrible. I feared I would get hurt and we had a near riot on our hands. The crew somehow lost complete control but we were able to go to our ex using a trolley ride in the dark way to late to see or experience anything but dark and cold. We sailed to Seattle and disembarking went well. Overall the activities need to be increased especially on the days at sea.

My experience with the Princess Cruise by nonna59026381

Sail date: / Traveled as: Family (young children)
Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Mexico

It was a great experience. I can highly recomended this cruise to my friens and family. The service and food was excellent. I would like to take another cruise for 7 days. Please, provide me with the special offers. Thank you

Nonna Veinstein

member number : 8563801731

Medicore Food by ChrisLake

Sail date: / Traveled as: Large Group
Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Mexico

The food was well below any standards we have experienced on any other cruise lines. We would not recommend this cruise line to any of our friends. We were glad this was not our first cruise experience because if it had been we wouldn't consider doing it again. We will stick with Celebrity or Royal Carribean

GP by Imbirdie

Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Mexico

Loved the cruise. Excellent food and for the most part great service. My only complaint is that sometimes we were treated not so nice when using our soda card... bartenders don't get tips on refills... Even if we were not purchasing alcofol we should be treated special. My husband and I can not wait to go back.

another good cruise ! by yosemitesam

Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Mexico

Nice ship, friendly attentive crew, Would do it again.Princess is one of my favorite cruiise lines.=================================================================

satisfaction by burgeno7

Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Mexico

This was my Husband and I first time on a cruise. We choose to sail the Golden Princess ship. We had a wonderful time, not knowing exactly what to expect when we boarded the ship. The cruise line ship staff were extreamly wonderful and so attentive to every guest on the ship. we did not take our children with us on this trip but we defently will take them with us on our next voyage. The atmosphere was so relaxing

1st cruise by Boipigsa

Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Mexico

The cruise was ok but expected a bit more, the crews by the way are excellent. My only problem only is the food choices are not that great I was expecting a japanese cuisine in one of the days i had in the cruise.. But all in all the cruise was ok..

Incubus for germs and horrible food... by CabinB645

Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Mexico

One of the worst experiences of my life. The ship looks fine and dandy but it is all some sort of trick.

1) The food tastes worse than the Hospital. It is truely garbadge food made to look pretty but made about one day before and overly salted. Part of the scam is the restaurants still charge you to eat, not all of them are just "walk over and eat this crap to your hearts delight" all the half way decent places charge $25 per person.

Another scam is some restaurants don't allow anytime dining.  I was really hoping for some good food. Even the Pizza place tasted like chucky cheese.

2) This whole cruise was based on propaganda of selling and merchandising every imaginable piece of crap thing in the world. Every has a TV in their room with like only 20 channels and 8 of them are selling you bullshit that is overpriced by a phalanx of idiots constantly telling you " it's duty free"  Well if you double the price on a decent shirt and say "it's tax free" they are making hand over fist over the suckers who get tricked into this scam. Everytime almost everyday the restaurants are closed in order to turn them into flea markets for junk.

3) Their is no entertainment except some people who tell jokes. Now comes the good part: Don't even think about thinking you can bring a Pad or laptop...the internet for 100 minutes is $199.00!!!!!!!! What a fucking scam that they charge for this shit??? I guess just go to the library on the ship to get information...all you can do is read a book.

4) For whatever reason they water down the outside decks, which have carpets that are soaked in. The cold air from the sea causes this flooring to mildew, which breaths into the matress of the plastic chair your sitting in. All of the mattresses are wet, so after a time you get sick.

5) The ship is not non-smoking. Most people just light up anywhere, so it does smell like old Las Vegas.

6) Ice Tea and Sodas of all types are not free. They make you pay $4.00 a day to carry some tumbler around like an idiot. The original listing says pretty much drinks like this were free, but they call soda "speciality drinks" you got to be kidding me.The cost of Iced Tea or coffee is free only in the buffet. You need to constantly walk like some bastard back and forth from the Midship to get these drinks.

7) The architecture of the building is planned like a Vegas Casino. You might figure the decks could run from the front to back of the ship. NO. You need to always take stairs up or down twice to get back on the same level. The elevators are planned to be used to bring people from lower decks to the upper decks. Many of the got XX which means out of order. The rinky dink ship forces you to always walk by some store where they got people selling crap on tables. These people just ramble on " duty free goods" as you walk by.

8) They dont really have Poker.... they can't make money on that shit so they put up ONE table that is always full and is electronic. Of course, they got plenty of idiots working the ONE crap table and many house odds games like Carribean this or that, Blackjack, and lots of slots. Gambling is not open the first day. Of course everyone wants to play poker and half the people just wait all day for a chance to play. YOu figure they just put up other tables and run a dealer with real cards, but no.

9) Eating on the last night must be when they put up all the food nobody wanted before. Got food poisining from the Chippino seafood soup from Bellini's and threw up violently the last morning before disemberking. No i don't drink Alcohol so that wasn't the reason. All the cheap people even went to the buffet at the last minute, bringing up plates of food while disembarking...what cheap bastards!!!. It looked like something a supermarket would face after the end of the world. Most of these people were Philipino BTW.

10) You can' use cash. Instead you must register a credit card.  The trip to Ensenada was a scam too. Do not book with the ship!!  Once you get to Ensenada all the various trips to go Horseback riding, etc are less than half price from quoted prices of the ship. Ensenada is basically Tijuana Jr. ...a real crappy town. Watch over your shoulder or the Cartel might kidnap you. It is that seedy. I would rather just go to Catalina instead...One word: they always take you to some flea market one hour drive farther than the REAL activity you wanted to do. This is another Merchandising scam that you must endure.The food in Ensenada is akin to Taco Bell only  worse...

11) When you get off the ship you can't just leave... you leave in groups and the lines are very long. Also, you will pay $38.00 for parking for the 3 day trip. Should have stayed on the USS Iowa instead..probably better food and you wont get sick. It took me three days to recuperate from this trip.

I don't know how Carvival does a similiar trip, but Princess Cruises is the worst of the worst.. Cabin B645

Awesome Cruise!! by Localcruisegal

Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Mexico

This was my seventh cruise in my life, first short cruise that I've taken. The ship was well kept, food was good, great activities, and the ports were awesome! I would definitely recommend this cruise to friends and family. The only complaint I have is that there were not enough hours in the day to do everything I wanted to do on the cruise!

Nice Ship, Entertainment not to good. And the gym was poor. by Lovetocruise711

Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Mexico

I love the ship. Pool area was very nice and the big screen was awesome. Most of the food did not have a lot of spices. Its was ok to Good. The Gym strength equipment suck. Worst equipment I have seen on any cruise ships. I have been on 11 cruises. One comedian was great. There was two others that where terrible. The stateroom was good for the price. Service in the stateroom was excellent!! The waiters in the reasturant was good. One guy was excellent. The ladies taking the pictures where the best I have ever experiance, Very professional. The know how to put you in the right positions. I wish the drinks on the ship were less. Would of order more but I can not pay the prices they were asking.

First Timer by juvycop

Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Mexico

This was my very first cruise, and I must say it was like nothing I had imaged.  It was by far much, much better.  I totally enjoyed the onboard activies and took part in as many as I could.  My brother the seasoned travler was have extreme back pain, when we discovered that there was Acupunchure available onboard he jumped at the opprotunity.  Dr. Cote was a great help as well as all the staff in the Spa, all so caring.

We are planning to cruise to Alaska next year and of course we will use The Golden Priness!  We made so many friends with the onboard staff we hope to see them again on our next trip.

Mexico 4 day cruise by shuggins22

Sail date: / Traveled as: Singles/Friends
Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Mexico

THis trip was one that I should have cancelled.  The dining room service was not there we waited 10 - 15 minutes before we got drinks. The found was hard and in some cases over cooked.  In the casino we were not asked if we wanted drinks and we were in there for 2 hours.  The steward was no where to be found and did not respond to pages.  This was by far not what I expected from Prncess.  This was something that is reviewed on other cruise lines.  I hope this 4 day cruise gets an overhaul on staff and cooks, it needs it.

happy passanger by tracyarmwow

Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Alaska - Inside Passage

excellent cruise the staff was wonderful and very nice everyone looked as if they really wanted to be their and help people....the cabin was beautiful and the food just great the ship was in ship shape ...and i look forward to another cruise with you on princess...the view from the ship was awesome...and the ports of call just more than i had thought they would be..the only down side of the trip was in juneau when the ship tied up late and we missed our jeep tour ..the agent that books the tours however made it right and removed the cost of the tour right off the bill excellent job....im so happy i booked with princess ..looking forward to being on board again...i am pleased with your rewards program as well...great job..a ver happy passanger diana franklin my first time onboard but not the last....

excellent experience by erned143sweety

Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Alaska - Inside Passage

We really enjoy our vacation because first time we experience to cruise like this its so amazing and relaxing, the crew are very friendly and professional, the ship are clean, our room service is excellent we love it me and my wife.... But the first time we ate at Bernini Dinning Room we little bit upset because i found a hair in my wife food so i just letting you know to be careful and give address to that case so that next time it will not gonna happen again.....And after that we enjoy the rest of that Cruise....

I had a good time by cookie1234

Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Alaska - Inside Passage

WE had a great time all the ports were nice and the piers easy to get on and off. The food was very good and plenty of it. All employees were very friendly and helpful. I was surprised the casinos closed at night when in open water we were run out and not much music for the 45- 60 ages we like to dance too. Overall we had a great time. I am a late night person I worked graveyard for 20+ years so I look for activities at night. This is my fifth or sixth cruise !st time on princess, 1 on RCC, and all the rest on carnival I like carnival because of the night life.

The Golden Prinncess to Alaska by thebaum

Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Alaska - Inside Passage

This was our 13th cruise for my wife and I and the first time sailing with Princess. we were more than pleased with the outstanding service of the complete staff and freshness of the ship. Everything was so clean and polished. we really liked that in front of every food line was a individual hand sanitizer and someone from the staff was present to make sure it was used by all who entered. We go on cruises so we can be waited on and we were and we enjoyed our spa treatments and our shore excursions where we spend 3.5 hrs on the Alusion, the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour. In all of years this was by far the beast excursion we have ever taken. The overall entertainment was not as good as we have seen, but most of the first timers said it was good. But we really enjoyed Carlos the comic. He is the Best!

love princess by crazycruzer

Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Alaska - Inside Passage

the over all cruise was great. Waitstaff is the best in every venue we ate in. the only complaint we had was with our steward he was none attentive and slow to do anything. Our last cruise the steward was the best [jun] ishmal was not so great. But we will sail with princess again, give ity another try and hope for the best.

1 Comment

Family reunion and anniverary celebration by Sailors

Sail date: / Traveled as: Large Group
Ship: Golden Princess / Destination: Alaska - Inside Passage

We had family from 5 yearsto over 70 and all had a great time. Our dinning room put on the most beautiful anniverary party you could imagine and made it very personal and special. The bacony brunch was a great way to watch Tracy Arm cruising in style. Alaska is a great choice for any passenger demographic

Find a cruise on Golden Princess