Golden Princess Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

As cruises go, this was the worst

Sail Date: December 01, 2006

The service on board was very poor. It appeared to me and my other cruising partners that the staff was going through the motions not really caring whether or not the guests were served well.

You only have one chance to make a good first impression!!!

The arrangements for our group were made in advance as we (a group of 29) have travelled together before. At the first dinner, the group was not seated at the same area and many of the group had no seating at all!

We finally got seated and the staff was less than helpful. They were very cold and impersonal, one of the waitresses even made a negative comment to one of my friends. This truely set up the cruise for other than a pleasant encounter.

I had made arrangements for my cabin but when calling the purser to get my arrangements corrected, I was initially given the brushoff and made to wait for more than a half hour before any action was taken. I was not satisfied even after numerous attempts to solve my problem. Not even an apology for the confusion.

When speaking to a "purser", I was told that there were many "trainees" on board.Thr purser I spoke with also told me that there were more than 100 similar complaints and this was only in the middle of the cruise. He indicated that there was discontent within the staff as well complaining of differences in pay for the same job etc. This could indicate why I received no satisfaction from anyone. When questioning to get a supervisor to speak to, I was told, "she is busy"
That is not the type of answer I deserved.

After 3 or 4 days, the staff began to make some overatures to improve the service and the quality improved slightly.
However, this should have occured from the outset.

The food on the first day was barely edible. Dry and poor presentation.

Many of the items at the buffet were not appetizing to look at and requests for any special food preparations were ignored.

The staff seemed to have problems understanding English.

No juices or beverages other than water and iced tea were offered. Other cruises had a better variety of beverages.

I was told that when meeting at the cruise tour desk, coffee would be available. I happened to have a cup with me from the buffet and saw a pot of coffee near the counter.

I went to refill my cup and a steward came over and said, "I have to charge you for coffee". Of course, when I indicated that I would return the coffee, she reneged.

Would I travel this vessel again? Not likely.

Pros: Golf off of the boat White Witch Golf on Montego Bay was fantastic

Cons: service on board was very poor

Recommends Golden Princess? No.

compared to other vessels the food was poor
the rooms were spacious but the beds were not comfortable
Positively the worst staff I have had to deal with. If I owned this cruise ship, I would fire the entire group and start over with training courses at the Ritz Carlton