Golden Princess Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

An excellent introduction to cruising

Sail Date: February 01, 2006

The ship was enormous and filled to its rated capacity, yet was uncrowded. There was never a difficulty in finding a deck chair, the pools (the adult ones, anyway) always had room, and generally one was left with the impression that 2,000 other passengers had gone missing.

Pros: beautiful ship, and uncrowded

Cons: the coffee

The shows were technically better than I expected, although the musicals were exactly as insipid as you would expect. There was a ventriloquist who was absolutely hysterical. The big band music show was entirely too brief: I felt that I had just sat down and it was over.
One fellow passenger said that he had cruised on the Golden Princess when she was new and that she had worn a bit over the years. I couldn't see the wear that he spoke of.
Dinner was good, the Italian specialty restaurant was very good, the service in the restaurants was very good, but the coffee was uniformly lousy throughout the ship.
The balconies on C deck are the best on the ship: they are only partially covered, so you get sun and shade. The other decks' balconies are either uncovered or completely covered.
Room steward fished out (without being asked and at considerable personal peril) a razor that had improbably gotten stuck between the toilet seat and toilet. My wife and I had tried for five full minutes without success, so it was apparently not trivial to retrieve.

One bartender was surly and just barely civil, but the rest of the staff was anywhere from pleasant to delightful.