Just an average cruise

Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Eastern Caribbean
Sail Date: October 21, 2012
Ship: Freedom of the Seas
I was on this ship about a year into its service and had an excellent experience the first time which motivated me to cruise it again; however, this experience has motivated me to not cruise with this crew again. The ship itself is still beautiful with a few worn areas but nothing worth mentioning. The difference in my opinion was the feeling that cruise director and the staff we came in contact with were just doing enough to get by and not going the extra mile I have come to expect in cruising. For example, the cruise director and some of the staff had a sloppy appearance and seemed bored. Also the staff in the fitness center also were not willing to see to the details. At the beginning of cruise I inquired about a malfunctioning machine and one of the trainers said it needed a battery and that I had to ask the manager.....not my job to now hunt down a manager; it is not my fitness center. I paid money to have access to this amenity. I'm also very dissappointed with how the captain handled, rather mishandled dealing with sailing near a hurricane. Would it not have warranted perhaps skipping CocoCay where we could not tender out and sailing further south to St. Thomas or St. Maarten ahead of schedule for the safety and comfort of the passengers? Did I mention that it was also a Make a Wish cruise?

Food in the dining room was good to excellent. Service in the dining room was excellent but a bit scarce in the windjammer. 24/7 venues were excellent. Food variety suffered a bit. I was offended however by the a la carte menu items with the additional charges. Isn't that what the specialty restaraunts are for? Do I need to be reminded that it's never enough?

Same music\, same games\, lackluster. Performances could have been sharper.

Very dissatisfied. The smiles were plastered and insincere.

still a beautiful ship.

Although we were on the 2nd deck we had handicapped accessible room and it made all the difference having extra room to manage my partner's disability. My only complaint was that metal shutters were placed over our port hole b/c of the storm but I understand its necessity

Pros: Dining room service

Cons: Lack of attention to details

Recommends Freedom of the Seas? No.