Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Disappointing Cruise

Sail Date: September 12, 2010

This was my third cruise on Royal Caribbean since March of 2009. This very quickly became the most disappointing of all three. This ship although considered somewhat new is quickly showing its age. The sports decks, dining rooms and public areas are well maintained. The staterooms are quickly showing their age with worn carpet, peeling paint in the bathroom, fold out beds do not go into the ceiling as designed due to being bent. The lack of shopping onboard was very disappointing as well compared to the other cruises I have taken.

Pros: Sports and Pool Decks

Cons: Customer Service

Recommends Freedom of the Seas? No.

Breakfast in the main dining room was a complete disaster on each of the three mornings my family ate there. The hostess was rude each morning, they would not accomodate our request to sit alone even though there was plenty of open tables. When I placed my order for a well done omelet it was brought out undercooked and did not contain the ingredients which I ordered.

The evening dining experience was awesome with one exception. The servers did an outstanding job and went way beyond the call of duty to ensure a great experience. On the night they served lobster they limited everyone to only 1 lobster. On past cruises with other cruise lines we were able to have all we wanted on lobster night.
Other than meeting the stateroom attendant when I boarded and when he showed up to collect his tips I never saw him for the entire 7 days during the cruise. The comforter and sheets had stains on them and he put bedsheets on the bed that was ripped with a hole in it. Although they put two twin beds together to become a larger bed given that they did not put a topper to bring the beds together thus there was a large diving hole in the middle of the bed. This made sleeping very uncomfortable.
Other than the evening dining room waiters the rest of the staff overall was very rude and not helpful. I purchased the soda card for the week and regardless of which bar I went too I always got a disgusted look when I asked for a diet coke. It seemed that it was a big bother than I asked for a diet coke. In the case of Saturday night I finished watching a football game and went down to Sorrento's pizza bar at 12:50 AM on Sunday morning and asked for a diet coke. They replied they had closed out the soda part of their bar and could not offer any additional soda's. They however had posted that they would be open until 2 AM on Sunday morning. I was told to go to another location.
Other than the comedian on the first night of the cruise and Kory Simon at the Piano bar the rest was very poor entertainment choices. The band were marginal in my opinion and the main stage shows were of average quality compared to other cruise lines.
The ship is larger than most giving it a more open feeling when going about from place to place. The decor in the public areas is nicely maintained and clean. The overall layout of the ship was very nicely done.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Beautiful port to visit. There are many views for outstanding pictures to be taken throughout the island. I would suggest shopping downtown versus the mall at the port which I did not find any bargains at. Given the prices of the restuarants close to the pier we elected to eat on the ship.
Don't Miss: Magens Bay