Terrific time

Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

7 Night Western Caribbean (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)
Sail Date: August 16, 2009
Ship: Freedom of the Seas
Amazing ship, awesome staff and crew, terrific evening shows. Our room was small but comfortable and incredibly clean! Loved the towel animals every night. Boarding process was smooth and easy as was the disembarking. Pools were wonderful and we really enjoyed the FloRider, basketball courts and mini golf. Tons and tons of positives but "Shopping Shelby" is a total ripoff who is obviously on the take from all the vendors in the different ports. Purchased $25 coupon book that she promised had $400 in savings and free items but didn't say that included several ports we werent even going to visit! In one port, she and her staff were sticking "Hard Rock Cafe" stickers on people without asking and telling them to go there for lunch. How dare they stick something on people without asking!!!! If I want to advertise for the Hard Rock, I'll get paid for it. Also didn't like the big push in the Royal Promenade to buy, buy, buy. It was so bad that we didn't realize until the last day that the food in the coffee shop and pizza place were free-of-charge. Also missed that there wasn't a midnight buffet.

Service in all dining areas was terrific as was most of the food. Steaks and prime rib in main dining room were small, and looked more like something you would find in a diner or off a buffet line. Food in the Windjammer buffet was terrific, well presented, hot, varied and imaginative.

Shows were professional, amazing and delightful. Disappointed not to be able to get into the ice show because it was SRO the first night and timing of added show didn't work for our dinner time. Cruise director was great and very talented. Instructors at the FloRider were amazingly patient and knowledgeable.

Loved everyone except "Shopping Shelby" and her staff.

Best I've ever been on!

Room was comfortable, location was great, spotlessly clean!
Reminded me of Bermuda. Wonderful natives. Loved Margaritaville.
Don't Miss: Margaritaville - music, food, pool, views, play area for kids
Unfortunately, our Ziip line was cancelled due to high winds - no one's fault but disappointing. All brochures, etc. led me to think that Labadee only offered activities that were an extra charge. Didn't know that there was a relaxing beach, hammocks and cabanas available at no charge so because we were scheduled for the Zip Line, I didn't bring my book and my mother stayed on the ship. By the time our Zip Line was cancelled, it was too late to take the tender back to the ship, collect my mother and my book and return to the islandl. It was beautiful, though, just the retreat it should have been but the cruise line was so busy trying to sell excursions, etc., I didn't know about the free amenities.
Don't Miss: Hammocks, cabanas, lunch
Loved the Segway Tour. Guides were smart, funny, attentive. Beach Resort was beautiful....had a delicious lunch for two for $23 including tip and an AWESOME 15-minute massage for just $20.
Don't Miss: Segway Tour
The non-stop harrassment by the locals was awful. We took a tour to Dun's River Falls. After a wonderful drive through Fern Gully, we were taken to 2 different shopping centers, parked in front of "recommended" stores and then totally ripped off. When we got to Dun's River Falls, we were accosted non-stiop by locals pushing "free gifts" in return for "donations" on the way into the park, in the shopping area of the park, itself, and on the way out of the park. It was scary and aggravating. The climb up the falls was terrific but a little more difficult than the brochures indicate. Tour guide made no effort to indicate restful locations for people who weren't going to climb the falls.
Don't Miss: Dun's River Falls but only if you can avoid the locals and the shopping centers

Pros: Crew, restaurant staff, shows, FloRider, basketball court, minigolf

Cons: Shopping Shelby is annoying...obviously on the take for local stores, not giving advice that's best for the passengers.Also totally ripped off with sale of her $25 book of coupons...the book's touted value included discounts at ports we didn't visit!

Recommends Freedom of the Seas? Yes!