Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Disappointing

Sail Date: April 13, 2008

I would recommend the ship because the production shows are like being on Broadway; they are amazing. Be careful when booking a room, inquire about the room & have travel agency double check with Royal Caribbean, as my room was not what I had paid for or requested. The check in process at the pier and air travel was a nightmare. I went from Ft. Lauderdale to Dallas, Tx, to Hartford, CT on the return flight and did not get home til 1;20 a.m.!!!

Overall service and food on this ship was not as nice as the Mariner or other cruise lines, but the shows carried the ship where their food quality/taste and service lacked. Some service personnel were excellent, but more than not made you almost feel like you were 'a bother to them' if you needed something.

That was disappointing for the price I paid for this cruise, I expected the "Royal Treatment' and I was left wanting. So overall rating was disappointing outside of the shows. Not worth the price I paid.

Pros: The shows on the ship

Cons: the room was not what I requested

Recommends Freedom of the Seas? Yes!

for the 15-17 year olds the programs were good, but the teen staff director was lacking liveliness my daughter said. She said the teen clubs had no activity and the kids had to get the club going in order to make it fun and exciting. So I think the teen staff needs to be more in tune with the teens today and need to get more invovled for the kids to get moving. So that part was borderline boring to average.
There were some lively staff members but more than not you ran into ones who made it appear that you were being a bother. To get bar service, you would stand for a long while before they came over to you - unless you put your hand up or begged, you were not served right away. Alot had cell phones and appeared to be more bothered with than that servicing the patrons on board. My stateroom attendant was never anywhere to be found, my balcony was not kept ash free and if I had any questions, I had to go to guest services or ask another room attendant for help.
My balcony suite was supposed to have more room and instead it was cut off and obstructed and small and there wasn't a slider, it was a port hole and small door which was not as nice and it was never disclosed to me or in the book that this was the layout of the room. I thought I was getting a room with more space, not less and obstructed space. The balcony also had tons of ash on the chairs each night that was disgusting and it was on the deck also.
The layout of the overall ship was good, I didn't like how you get to the Arcadia you have to go to 4th floor to walk across to go down to the 3rd floor to get in. The back of the boat side balcony suites are horrible, your view is obstructed and the balcony is cut into a triangle which leaves you no room to move and the door bangs into your chair if you have to go in or out. Did not like that at all and they charged the same rate.
It was nothing exceptional on this ship. If you ordered your steak medium, it came back well done, if you ordered it medium well it was welldone. No matter how you ordered it, it came back the same way. The taste was not that great and the quality was lacking also.
Richard Spacey was incredible and had an amazing line up and the production shows were like none other. I thought Becky from the Mariner was the best, he gave her a run for her money - he was great and the comedians were excellent and all in good taste.
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Very dirty to go shopping. You don't really have time to shop if you buy the shopping pass and do excursion. It stormed so my excursion of kayaking and Dunns Falls was cancelled so I cannot say otherwise how that was, but heard it was amazing for those who went out on the early morning excursion.
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
I would recommend doing the Malfini excursion if you are one for a private quite secluded beach. The service there was excellent and you're in a group of about 25 people and the beach is fantastic.
I would recommend this stop - the beaches are beautiful and we did a private taxi to Mr. Sanchez and Paradise Island and it was very nice, and there was shopping there was great!
George Town, Grand Cayman
It is very crowded, disorganized, we did the sightseeing beach trip and they took over 1 hour to get it organized and get you on the ferry boat, which the sight seeing tour consisted of seeing a sunken ship; which was neat and every hotel chain and time share pitch imaganable. Then they dump you on a small postage size beach at a gross hotel and you are among about 100 people who are literally on top of one another and you're in rows of chairs and our chairs were put in the water because there was no room on this beach front and it was very disappointing. We did not stay for the excursion, we got back in a taxi and returned to the ship because the port had 4 ships in at the pier and while shopping is in abundance, the stores are neat and I would recommend doing your own tour or something off beat - 4 wheeling or something different that a lot of people would not ordinarily do.