Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

First time cruiser: Now I'm hooked!

Sail Date: July 01, 2007

This was my boyfriend and my first cruise. The process of checking in and setting up excursions was a little stressful, but once we handled those things, the relaxation began. The ship was so large and impressive. Everything was luxurious. We were lucky to get a handicap room, so the room size was never an issue. We had an interior room overlooking the promanade. We never felt closed in because there was plenty of good light coming in through our large window. The glass was thick, so you couldn't hear a thing down there, even when it was crowded. Our room attendant, Rosa was very nice and was so quick to tidy up our room the moment we'd leave. The food in the main dining room was delicious and abundant! Our waiter and his aid bent over backward to do everything possible to make us comfortable and well fed. We had a lot of relaxing times at the pool. We quickly made friends with Turnip, the bartender at the adults only pool. He served us our first drink on the ship, so we made a point to some see him everyday. Although, there are plenty of things for kids to do, I was very aware that there were a great many kids on the boat. Since I am used to adults only vacations with my hunny, this was a little different for me. One suprising thing was, a teenage boy seemed surprised that my boyfriend (age 34) was in line to use the Flo Rider (surfing wave machine). The teen actually asked my boyfriend why he was in line. I guess kids don't expect adults to play... Anyway, there were a great many excursions to choose from. We enjoyed the Taste of Jamaica, a tour of the company that makes Jerk Seasoning. We also snorkled in a lagoon and then with marine sea turtles on a long combo excursion in Cozumel. The snorkle trip was amazing, absolutely awesome. The turtles were very large, some of them 3 feet across. We enjoyed a meal at each of the specialty restaurants, Choppes Grill and Portofino. The meals were excellent and we were surprised to find that the service got even better in these rooms. You have to pay $20 per person extra for each of these places but it is worth it! There was no shortage of things to do at night. My boyfriend spent a lot of time in the casino playing Texas Holdem'. He was a little put off by the absence of a dealer. Each person uses a computer screen to view their cards and make their bets. We enjoyed the many bars in the evening. We saw a good comedy show and Broadway style singing/dancing show. Some of the ship sponsored events were a little hokey though. (like the marriage game show) Overall, we had an excellent time. We will definitely cruise again. I understand why people love cruises now! Just be prepared for a high bill at the end of the trip, though.... Those drinks that you drink all week sure add up!

Pros: The luxury

Cons: Paying extra for alcohol

Recommends Freedom of the Seas? Yes!

The kids definitely had plenty to do but I was very aware of their presence.
The ship was new, so everything was perfect.
Clean room, handicap room was a good size
Everyone was willing to go above and beyond. They all seemed truly happy to make us happy.
There was plenty to choose from. You could never do everything so you just pick the best things for you.