Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review to Bermuda

A Fun Time

Sail Date: August 01, 2013

Despite 3 days of rain, our family had a fun time on The Explorer of the Seas. This was our first time on Royal Caribbean after booking 2 previous cruises with Carnival. In short, we preferred the food on Carnival (contrary to everyone else, I know!!) and much preferred our rooms on Royal Caribbean. The staff of The Explorer of the Seas couldn't have been nicer and more helpful/professional. I think the Cruise Director was terrific also. My 17 year old daughter complained that there was less to do for her age group than on the Carnival Cruises, but my 50+ year old self thought it was just right! My biggest complaint, and I feel a little entitled and crummy complaining at all--but I would have wanted to read this prior to the cruise--, is that the ship itself needs some work. Nothing huge, just small, detail stuff: windows were dirty, paint is chipped, tile is cracked, and I saw random human hair in places I didn't really want to, etc. Was this a show-stopper? No. But I didn't have that experience on Carnival either time. Am trying Celebrity next time to be able to compare all three cruise lines.

Pros: Great Staff, terrific Cruise Director

Cons: The food was average and the ship is tired (needs updating/paint/etc.)

Recommends Explorer of the Seas? Yes!

Great layout. Loved being able to see out over the Promenade.
Phenomenal
My 17 year old daughter felt that there was little to do for her age group: she felt she was too old for the 12-17 year old activities and unable to join the 18+ activities although she has a late bday and I guess I could have made a bigger stink about it. On the other hand, programming for younger children got rave reviews from our table mates at dinner every night.