This ship needs a vacation

Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Sail Date: March 01, 2011
Ship: Explorer of the Seas
From the moment I walked down the hall to my cabin it was clear that the carpets needed to be replaced. They are worn and it shows. Additionally, there was a sewer odor in the hallway. The crew spent days working on plumbing in a cabinet in the hallway but the smell never went away. Sorry to see the discontinued their relationship with the company running the art auctions, we used to enjoy them. The gentleman representing Peter Max in the art gallery is a pompous jerk, insulting people at the Peter Max auction.

Windjammer food was good, but no variety. I can understand breakfast offering the same, but no variety for lunch and dinner? I did not understand the midnight buffets. They did not list them in the daily Compass. After the shows at night the cruise director would mention it. If you did not go to the show you were totally unaware of the buffet unless you happened to be on the promenade while they set up.

Ice shows (2) were fantastic. the production shows (3) not so much. The first was terrible, the second a bit better and by the third it was good. I did not care for the costumes, sets and there was much too much singing by the singers where there was nothing else going on. I have seen a lot of shows since this is one thing we cruise for and these by far were the poorest I have seen. Thank goodness for the ice shows.

Great crew. Very hepful and courteous. Everyone had a great attitude. The only drawback was Jeff the representsative for the Peter Max galery. At the Peter Max auctions he would literally insult people if they did not demonstrate the love he seems to feel for Pete Max or want to offer up 20 thousand or more for a painting. Fortunately he had an assistant, Peter Sobolov who was great and worked with us so we could buy a Max.

I have not been on a ship this old and will not be again. Not only the carpet was worn but windows in the Windjammer were stained, you could see some that had been replaced, they were clear. In a couple there were cobwebs in the corners.

We always get an inside and spend the money saved elsewhere. the cabin was standard size and always kept clean by our steward. The odd part of the cabin was we could not get cold or even cool water out of the sink, only HOT. We had to put ice cubes from the bucket in our glass in order to rinse after brushing.

Pros: Ice Shows

Cons: Windjammer

Recommends Explorer of the Seas? Yes!