Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review to Bermuda

Better Than I Expected

Sail Date: September 01, 2007

This was our first cruse and was much more fun than we expected (friends persuaded us to try it). Our room was lovely and bright, there was lots to do and so much food! I did have an issue with some of the staff, they were friendly enough, but didn't give that extra something you would expect.

Checking in at NJ was confusing and the person we got was a trainee, so it took longer than necessary because she had to keep stopping to ask for help.

Disembarkation was a nightmare; it was organized but long and one we got to our car getting out of the port took us about 2 hours.

Pros: The Food! The Spa!

Cons: The Smoke

Recommends Explorer of the Seas? Yes!

The staff in the dining room were excellent. Very helpful and friendly, always smiling. It was fun to see them all singing and making fools of themselves on the last night - they were good sports! The staff in the Windjammer - not so much. It was hard to get help. I was brought coffee on the first morning but never again. I realize it is a buffet, but they should set that expectation if they are not willing to follow through.
The shows were OK. I was really impressed by the ice show however, that must be tough to skate on a moving ship. The trivia games were fun.

I highly recommend the spa. Its expensive but worth it. I did the seaweed wrap and massage... mmmmmm...
Our room was nice- we had a balcony. I had a problem finding things because they were in cupboards or drawers. The room bright and spacious but the bathroom was cramped, personal grooming was an issue.
The ship was generally clean and looked good.The pools were very crowded and so I didn't use the. That was a big disappointment.The "English pub" not so pubby unless you count the amount of cigarette smoke hovering in the air. This was a problem in all the bars, we are not smokers but like to drink so this was a problem especially as it got later in the evening. I would like to see at least one non-smoking bar.
The food on the whole was good. The Windjammer Cafe started off well, but then diminished as the cruise went on. Like they used all the food on the first 2 days and then forgot. There was still a lot, just less variety. It was hearty and tasty, what you would expect from a buffet. The main dining room food was also good but variable, better some days than others. The desserts were to die for (and yes, I had two one night because I couldn't decide which to have. The late seating time was perfect for us.