Where’s the Service?

Eurodam Cruise Review to Mexico

Cruises: 4-6 cruises

Overall rating:

Eurodam

7 Night Mexican Riviera (San Diego Roundtrip)

Sail date: April 06, 2019

Ship: Eurodam

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 7030

Traveled as: Family (older children)

Review summary

So much potential for this boat, but it’s so poorly executed in the service department it just ruined it. It was simply a sad disappointment.

Embarkation

Embarkation was fine. gave us a complimentary bottle of bubbles which was a lovely surprise.

Ship experiences

As you wise dining, should be avoided. The inconsistent service means the servers practically ignore you or have no experience. So many misplaced orders, misdelivered drinks, over cooked steaks. We asked for a better server the 3rd night, and then forward it was lovely in the main dining room (other than the wine steward who was rude and argumentative when they didn’t have the Cabernet Sauvignon we wanted and tried to substitute a Petit Syrah — which my mother abhors). The buffet food is not bad, but there are not enough servers so you have to wait in long lines for people to order custom omelettes, so someone can eventually simply hand you some bacon (but only 2 pieces at a time!) Tamarind restaurant was lovely. Great food and service.

The activities offered where pretty limited, and often scheduled at the same time, so there were only 3 things a day I’d want to do, yet could only do 2 because of the overlap in timing. They have an amazing America’s Test Kitchen program, but they don’t integrate it into the food service at all. You can see them make all these great dishes, yet you NEVER get to taste them. What a wasted opportunity to spice up the buffet, or main dining menu, or have waiters at the end of the show bring out bite sized portions. The kids activities are NON-EXISTENT! They have a few “super old and not updated” xboxes according to my son who loves gaming. He spent 15 minutes in Club HAL the entire week. We attended a “5 Minute Makeover” spa presentation which was a complete joke! The “presenter” had no format, information, ideas, or direction. She walked it and said “okay, hehe, what do you want to know? Heheh” Um, this is YOUR presentation, what do you want to teach us?!

The live music is definitely the highlight of this ship. Every musics performance is fabulous! The dueling piano players, the Motown/Funk bands, the Elton/Billy Joel stage show, and the dance performance all were outstanding!

Do NOT bring kids on this ship. They will be bored. The grumpy old people will yell at them in the only pool they are allowed in rather than go to the child-free pool in the back of the ship. The kids club is like a dirty, empty, old room with nothing to do and it’s almost never open or staffed.

If room service is your jam, that is always fast, warm, and on time. The menu is quite small though. Ship stewards are discrete and fast, but we lost a hat and wedding ring that were likely scooped up in bathroom towels. When leaving the ship on the first port day, we took several wrong turns trying to find the exit, as there were no signs or crew to direct. I mentioned this in the feedback app, and rather than simply say “good idea”, or even do nothing, they called me in my stateroom to argue with me and tell me I was wrong and they have signs and staff to do that. I guess our group and the several others taking wrong turns and getting lost were just ignoring all the signs and staff?! We are experienced cruisers. This is not our first rodeo. The spa staff couldn’t even tell me basic pricing on medi-spa injectables. That’s basic knowledge at any reputable clinic. I was required to book a high pressure sales appointment to get a price. Despite the hours and hours spent poolside, a waiter approached me literally 1 SINGLE TIME! I had to chase down waiters or wait at the bar every time. Our bill was under $300 for the entire week, and $101.50 of that was the $14.50 daily hotel charge. On a typical cruise line we spend $1500-2000 on food, drinks, entertainment.

Average.

A little tight. Not enough drawers. Closets so narrow your suits have to hang sideways.

Ship tip

Choose another cruise line or make this your first cruise so you have nothing to compare it to.

Ports of call

San Diego, California

I don’t consider San Diego a “port”, but it’s a lovely city to visit. So much to do and great weather.

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

The beach sellers are a bit overwhelming. It’s non-stop all day long.

Mazatlan, Mexico

All three ports are so similar.

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

I couldn’t tell them apart. Beach sellers non stop.

Disembarkation