Eurodam Cruise Review to Europe - Northern Europe

Purser

Holland America without distinction

Sail Date: July 31, 2011

For a newer ship, the Eurodam seemed worn already. The staff were as diligent at cleaning etc etc but it simply wasn't as nice as the other HAL ships I've sailed on. The one highlight on board was a new 'private' restaurant... Canneletto that occupied one half of the Lido deck buffet area. This was a no charge but reservation required eating experience that made you feel you were getting something a little added for your dollar. And the service staff there were excellent.
Some of the line staff for food at the Lido were frequently 'snappy' Again, different than I had witnessed on other HAL occassions.
The land package tours were very pricey. Some were exceptional, but a few you felt like you paid alot to get a little.
This itinerary (Norway fjords and Great Britain with Brugges/Ghent, Belgium) was interesting for the mix of places. I was remiss in that I should have known better the seasonal conditions for these spots some of which were quite rainy/overcast/and at times colder. I didn't pack well. The ship wasn't always prepped well for suggesting on days ashore the expectations.
Getting on the boat was horrible.(Off was great and smooth). We had an hour and half wait in a hot muggy tent! No explanation and no apology???!!!
Our passports were taken day one to be held by the ship for the Scotland side of the travel. Not much explanation about this or prior prep to build the expectation that it would be happening. Especially irksome since the first half of the trip was in Norway. I have had this happen before but in Russia with the collection of the passports the day before and the return the day after.
Its a disquieting feeling when you are without this while traveling in other countries. I still don't feel that there was much explanation by them of what the issues are that they have to cope with that led them to this need. An explanation would have gone a long way to make it feel a little better. Its these subtle little things that make you feel a little less 'cared' for or about.
The ships's design layout didn't really impress me for being part of their 'new' class of ship, the Signature class. It was certainly beautfiul as all ships are but didn't 'wow' you. My experience last year on Celebrity's Eclipse of their new Solstice class, had that effect. You walked on board and every element of the cruise environment and experience left you feeling "WOWWW!". Maybe I was spoiled by that and expected the same from HAL.
It didn't happen. And I have figured out that I will be doing Celebrity going forward or not at all. I was able to avoid signing up for all the enticements of their future cruise desk, which says it all!

Pros: itinerary

Cons: Ship less than I had come to expect from HAL before

Recommends Eurodam? No.

THe stage area and theatre seemed small to me. Some of the shows, the talent was working hard enough but it seemed less than the typical impressive show production numbers. The filler acts were talented but seemed really second tier. Not folks that were active Vegas or other venue type performers now.
Room staff equal to any. Some of the line staff at the Lido/buffet meals .... less than friendly.
Zeebrugge (Bruges), Belgium
Went to Brugges and Ghent. Both very pretty with rich histories. Did a canal tour in Ghent. Beautiful. A little rushed on the tour so hard to comment fully but felt that I liked Amsterdam better on other trips than these two cities.
Alesund, Norway
Another very pretty site and town. Toured the Norwegian open air village museum. Interesting but not a striking experience like touring Mediterranean Europe. Still beautiful and quaint.
South Queensferry (Edinburgh), Scotland
Quaint Scottish town, that you are tendered too and then bused into Edinburgh. Spent a little time them walking . Not much more. The real highlight of this stop was Edinburgh and the Tattoo. A must see. And go prepared to wear hat, gloves, coat and sweater because it does get cold at night. Also during the day went to the Falkirk Wheel and Antonine wall. Both interesting to see. But the Tattoo is the must.
Don't Miss: Edinburgh Tattoo
Oslo, Norway
Very expensive. Paid over $14 for a two scoop dish of ice cream in Vigeland park! $7 for a bottle of soda at 7-11. The best thing we did, we did on our own and went to the Nobel Peace Prize museum. Just below city hall. Well worth it!! Vigeland park we went to again and it also is impressive. THe other museums we had done a chunk of before so didn't do them this this time. (Viking ship, Norwegian village etc etc.) They were good before
Don't Miss: Nobel Peace Prize museum
Bergen, Norway
Our tour package was essentially all day out to the Hagerstrand fjord. This is one of those experiences that a good guide really enhances the moment. Ours was good, informative and added alot. Really beautiful setting.
Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
I would never have expected this but our guide, who was a native and had such a love of his town and its history, made this a memorable stop. The stories told and the history revealed were everything. Fascinating. Their Millenium bridge was quite the sight!
Invergordon (Inverness & Loch Ness), Scotland
Rainy, cold day made up for by a great guide. And a highlight was seeing the salmon run at the Falls of Shin. We got lucky because of the rain, the streams were running and thus the salmon experience.
Don't Miss: Falls of Shin
Kristiansund, Norway
We went to the fishing village of Lillesand. Very quaint and beautiful. Nice ride out there. Not much content to spend a tour on.