Eurodam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

A Great Week on the Eurodam

Sail Date: March 01, 2010

Overall this was a wonderful 7 days. We thoroughly enjoyed each and every moment, and will remember our first HAL cruise forever. I am now fixated on the European itineraries, and if I do choose to venture cross the pond, I will almost certainly choose HAL, with a great preference to return to the Eurodam. Every expectation was met, every meal was scrumptious, and every crew member was efficient and friendly. We knew it was back to reality when we had to dole out $105 for parking back in friendly Ft. Lauderdale. I wrote this review the same day as we returned because I wanted to make sure all of my thoughts were still in short-term memory. As I flip through the photos we took however, I have a suspicion that I will have many of these thought in my head for a while.

Pros: Service, Entertainment, Appearence of the Ship

Cons: Nothing to Complain About

Recommends Eurodam? Yes!

The Eurodam is, well, gorgeous. Despite the size of the ship, it feels much cozier than the Carnival behemoths we have been on in the past. Most notable, and I cant possibly emphasize this properly in words, the ship is SPOTLESS!! It seems as if every time a towel hits the deck, a plate is finished, a spill occurs, a glass breaks, a smudge appears, that a member of the crew appears out of thin air to return the ship to its pristine appearance. Although initially taken aback at the absence of the now clich super atrium, I found the atrium to be very elegant. The bars and clubs were all very nice, each offering a slightly different ambiance.
The food was really very good. We expected quality meals at the Rembrandt Dining Room (the main dining room) and we were not disappointed. We had As You Wish dining, and never had an issue getting a table for 2 on any of the 4 nights we dined at Rembrandt. We did have to wait 15 minutes for a table the 1st night, and we were given a glass of champagne while we waited. The next day we found chocolate covered strawberries in our cabin with a note apologizing for the wait (we never gave it a thought that 15 minutes for a table for 2 at 8PM was unreasonable). Menu selections were varied, salads fresh, dressings (especially the bacon dressing) delicious, and appetizers just the right size. Main courses included ample portions, and meats were prepared to temperature. While the desserts were not poor, if the food is a 9 out of 10 or a 10 out of 10, the desserts are only a 7.
We booked a VH Guarantee and were assigned VA 4132. This is a standard verandah stateroom, port side, aft. There was one unique feature for this stateroom. Because this cabin, located on the Upper-Promenade Deck, is right at the point where the ships width increases, the balcony juts out making the verandah an astounding 15 deep. There was more than enough room for the standard chair and ottoman, another chair, and a deck chair which had also been placed on the verandah. We had considered asking for a larger table to go with the small standard table, but we felt that the ottoman was suitable for placing plates. The rest of the cabin was very nice, the bed was comfy, the furnishings new and well-maintained, and the storage more than sufficient. The bathroom was very nice, and the tub was a welcome sight. We did find the lighting to be a little difficult to figure out, and the reading lights above the night stands were not the greatest. All and all, we were most pleased with the room
For lack of a better word, the service on the Eurodam was flawless. As mentioned, the ship is spotless, and crew members not only say Hello, but ask you how your day is going, how you liked the port/dinner/show. Not once did we encounter a crew member who didnt at least appear to be genuinely glad to see you. Im sure there were complaints while we were on board, but I cant imagine what they were.
I confess that I am not generally much for shows, games, or the like, but we both found the entertainment to be plentiful and of great quality. We went to all three HAL-produced shows and the singers, dancers and musicians were excellent. We especially enjoyed the DreamPark production which took place on the 2nd formal night. We also went to see saxophonist Craig Richard one evening he was awesome and proved to be Moms favorite performer. We also saw juggler/comedian Barnaby and found him to be entertaining. Music around the ship was very good, and the vocalist Cassandra, who played at various locations, had a great voice and meshed well with the HAL Cats. Everyone seemed to enjoy the pool games, and we enjoyed watching. We also attended the deck party the evening we were docked in San Juan and had a great time. We did not go to the piano bar at all, but those who did certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves.