Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Never again....

Sail Date: November 01, 2010

This was our first RC cruise - in the past we have sailed with Carnival. This cruise was a 9 day cruise to the Bahamas leaving out of Baltimore. We stopped at all four ports within the first 5 days of the cruise, leaving 3 solid days at sea on the way home. It would have been better to have days off between ports, or even longer stays at the ports. The longest we stayed at a single port was 8 hours.

Pros: The dining room staff and the Captain

Cons: Bed/Food/Itinerary/Service

Recommends Enchantment of the Seas? No.

To put it bluntly, this was the most boring vacation I've ever taken. There was alot of bingo (at $50+ a pop), a couple mediocre shows, and arts and crafts stuff. Anthing worth doing, costed extra money to participate. In Nassau, we were in port with two Carnival ships and the RC ship Majesty of the Seas. The MotS had some light music playing on their pool deck and people at tables enjoying cocktails. The other two Carnival ships had DJ's/Live bands, lights, food, cocktails, people dancing and swimming and just having a great time! On our pool deck, you could hear crickets. There were about 10 people and most of them were just there to smoke at the bar. I asked Guest Relations about why none of those activities were happening on our ship, and I was told that a 9 day cruise wasn't designed for "partying" and that Carnival was more a party ship. So, to have fun, we should have booked two back to back 4 day cruises, or booked on a Carnival ship. Nice response!
The ship itself is not all that bad. It looks nice, seems to be updated and has more than enough area to accommodate guests comfortably. The major complaint that I had is that there wasn't enough seating room in the dining room and that the smoking sections were not secluded enough. Everytime I used the elevators or visited the gift shops, smoke was there because of the close proximity to the casino.
The Main Dining room dinner food and dinner staff were absolutely exceptional. there was nothing there that we didn't like. However, the buffet food and the 'snack' bar was horrible. Most of the food tasted disgusting - it was either too greasy, or too bland. They had a TON of ethnic food, and very little American fare. This may have been ok if you enjoy asian food. I have shell fish allergies and don't like alot of spice, so I didn't care for it. Regarding the American fare, the hamburgers tasted frozen, the hot dogs were green, the fries were ok but nothing special and the pizza tasted like frozen, cardboard pizza. The Room Service menu was limited to food from the gross buffet, so we didn't even order from there. The breakfast meats and potatoes were dripping in grease, the pancakes were hard, the eggs were powdered. The custom made egg station was good, but there was always an 8+ person line. Additionally, the dining staff in the Windjammer was rude and slow.
The room was not ready when we boarded, and it smelled musty and moldy. The bed felt like I was sleeping on a pull out sofa and I woke up one morning with my hands numb and tingly due to the pinched nerve in my neck. I asked if they could put a pillow top over it to try to soften it up. It took three more trips to guest relations to actually get that to happen, and it was really more of a thick mattress pad. There were no outlets next to our bed (my husband needs a machine to help him breathe while he sleeps), so we had to run an extension cord across the room. The TV was 13 inches and had no sleep timer and there were no ammenities (robe, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, etc.) The room attendant walked in on my and my husband being intimate twice (and we had the 'do not disturb' sign in the door!) and woke us up early every morning by knocking on our door.
Dining room staff was awesome! They went above and beyond. The Captain was hilarious and he made people feel welcomed. The rest of the crew should have paid more attention during Customer Service Training. With the exception of the main dining room waiters, the waitstaff acted like they were annoyed when you asked for a beverage or for them to wipe a table for you. That is, if you ever actually found one in the first place!

1 Comment