Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

A Great Experience

Sail Date: October 01, 2009

Traveled As: Family w/young children

I realize that there are quite a bit of ships larger and newer than the Enchantment out there. However, have to say that the Enchantment of the seas is well maintained and very clean and beautiful. It being refurbished in 2005, really made a difference. I loved the fact that it had a splash pool and a small pool just for kids deep enough for children who still didn't know how to swim yet. My son played in it for hours. There was always something going on throughout the ship. There was never a dull moment. The 70's party was wonderful. The entertainment including the shows and everything in the Orpheum theatre was surprisingly good. There was pretty much something for everyone. The staff was attentive, helpful and very friendly. Many people might not comment or notice this, but I really enjoyed the music selection playing throughout the day in the ship. I thought it was very "vacation" appropriate. The main thing I was disappointed with was the fact that they didn't have the midnight gala buffet anymore. Before they would have this beautiful wide section of different desserts and foods that the chefs would decorate and display for us to first take pictures of and then eat. They would also have these gorgeous ice sculptures and food cravings that looked like art. Apparently, they don't do it anymore because not a lot of people would stay up and eat it ,and a lot of it would go to waste. My husband and I always look forward to it so we were sad to see it go. They did have some midnight buffet one night of the cruise, but in no way did it compare to what they had before. It was very small, not a wide selection of desserts and foods and just a couple of ice sculptures. The other thing I was disappointed with was the quality of food. I felt as if, after the economy went down, so did the food quality on the cruise ships. I'm not saying it was terrible, but it did not taste the same. The food was decorated nicely, but didn't taste as well as it looked. Because I've cruised before, I know for a fact the quality of food has gone down. For example when I cruised on Carnival, and Royal Caribbean before, they offered filet migon in the main dining room for dinner. However, this time around, if I wanted filet mignon, I would have to pay for it extra from Chops Grill. Also, the desserts were very simple, nothing special or I have to have again. Bottom line, I would say the food in the dining room was mediocre compared to what I've had in the past on prior cruise ships. The Windjammer lunches and dinners were pretty good with a wide selection. Overall, I would recommend this ship because when it comes down to it, my family and I really enjoyed ourselves and the staff really made it wonderful!

Pros: The friendly staff, The beauty of the ship, The children's activities

Cons: Jump Trampoline closed most of the time, Also no more Midnight Gala Buffet

Recommends Enchantment of the Seas? Yes!