Empress of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Experience overall HORRIBLE.

Sail Date: October 06, 2016

Reviewed: 1 month ago

If I could give this cruise 0 stars I would. Didn't make it- wasn't even able to reachedule or receive credit towards another cruise due to a CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE! Hurricane Matthew literally just wrecked Haiti, killed hundreds, and was just going through the Bahamas, don't know why anyone would still want to be on this cruise if all the flights weren't already cancelled. Port of Miami closed on the day we were supposed to originally embark, credit for the lost day would only be given to those who would be able to make it and Royal Caribbean expected to go out even after the Port reopened the next day. I was told a couple different things about recompensation and that the ship was so large the waves would not be felt/the ship had stabilizers... still did not sound pleasant or totally safe for a first timer.  Albeit, I didn't get the trip protection, but I had every intention of being there- hotels booked, flights planned, transportation, etc! I just don't understand how a cruise line would go through seas that just experienced a hurricane and killed hundreds of people and expect things to be dandy with or without travel insurance. I'd rather gamble on last minute bookings than my life/safety. Rough seas maybe, but hurricane of the decade, no thank you.

Nevertheless, I will probably book again with my travel agent but I will get trip insurance next time. Or spend more for a cruise NOT during hurricane season.