Empress of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Nice cruse but there are areas that need work

Sail Date: September 17, 2016

Reviewed: 1 month ago

Royal Caribbean is a great cruse line but the 5 night cruise had a couple of problems.  The ship is small and their isn't a lot to do like a the bigger ships.  This turned out to be fine with me since I have a bad knee.  On the two days at sea I was afraid we would not be able to find chairs to sit in but to my surprise that turned out to be no problem.  The food was good in the Windjammer café and in the dinner room at night.  The lady that cleaned our room was great when we returned it was always clean.

Now for the reason for the four star rating.  Let's start with the Starlight dining room. The wait staff look as if they were always conducting a fire drill. They would be running what seemed to me as being very unorganized.  They would make you sit there until people would show up for diner which was at 6:00 pm. One night it was 6:20 and they had not started taking our orders yet.  You had to sign up for which diner you wanted so they wait 10 minutes and start taking orders.  The duties performed by each person is one sided. The head waiter was just standing around.  Then there was a waiter in a gray vest just walking up and down the isles not doing anything but watching you eat spooky. Then the waiter took our orders and served our diner. Now how he did it was such a waste of time. He put the cart on the other side of the station and carry over to the table one order at a time I would get tired just watching him run back and fourth serving diner. Now the person that deserves a big Thank You is the waiters asst. in this case his name was Melvin and he seemed to be carrying the load.  He was doing everything. So a little more spreading of the job duties and more organization would be nice.

I purchased the internet package and it was a joke the only time it would work if you were outside.  It was supposed to be fast well it's not the worst single and it would drop  the line right in the middle saying no internet connection BIG WASTE of money.

The other area that needs some more though is the drink packages.  Making you go to the bar to get a diet coke is a bit much. Making you having you telling the bartender "Bottle Water" or else you would get a small glass with some ice and water. My drink package cost me $19.00 a day and I maybe used a dollar a day it was to much trouble and the wait staff would give you funny looks if you order a bottle water when you were at the bar. The only other option we had was the $48 a day which included beer and mix drinks.  I know there were are some people that will drink enough or more than $48 worth but I would beat there are more that do not. Since you ring up every sale there could be tiers of cost of the drink package and it does not have to be one set price.

Overall I had an enjoyable time and got in some much need nap time. I would love to go on another cruse with  Royal Caribbean but on a bigger ship and more time.

Thanks to all the staff.Happy

The cabin was nice. There was not much room on each side of the bed and we paid for a ocean view but could not see out the window except you were standing at the end of the bed.