Empress of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Change in itinerary and lost my stuff.

Sail Date: June 25, 2016

Room service and cleaning was great. Food was ok. Activities aboard were good. The fact that only 5 hrs into the cruise they changed our destination leaves me aware they knew from the beginning. I paid to go to Grand Cayman island but we ended up in Nassau Bahamas. Not even comparable. Sure we got a credit of only like 100 bucks which hardly makes up for it, but you just gave it back to them when they took us to their island stop in the Bahamas  and you had to pay THEM to do anything while there so they made their money back from those credits. They lost my booze I bought while in Nassau which was the only highlight of that stop  and I had to fight for 5 hrs to help track it down. Wasted time doing nothing when I should have been enjoying the ship because of their negligence and archaic ways of tracking your stuff. A multi billion dollar company and they deal with your stuff the way a 5 year old would. Unacceptable. They don't want to give you anything for the hassles either. Poor customer service which is scripted. A whole bunch of "I'm sorrys" but that is all you will get. All foreigners working on the ship and they already don't like Americans. Paid extra )$ to eat at the steakhouse and while my steak was excellent along with a 3oz pour for $15 glass of wine, great bread and appetizers but while there,  most people's steaks were overdone. 6 people complained however, the manager or chef who approached them told them it was in fact the lighting and their steaks weren't overcooked. Then he went on, being condescending mentioning he could change the lights perhaps and people could see better. I really couldn't believe what I was hearing. Just flabbergasted. My steak I ordered medium rare and it was not but I kept it because the meat was a good cut so at medium I was satisfied. Overcharges for items I didn't purchase or authorize made for more time wasted in line. Food substitutions made with no notice.  Many little things but itinerary change sucked. Most people had already been to the Bahamas and if we wanted to go there we would have booked a cruise there. Once on the ship they do whatever they want and you are outta luck. They don't care. Their excursion for sting ray city was a joke. It was off their island about a 5 min boat ride to a penned area in the shallows where sting rays are caged/fenced in. We had one booked for grand Cayman so we chose to sub for theirs once we were rerouted. Very disappointed and not worth it. They do not want to comp you for any hassles due to their negligence like losing my stuff. They wanna give you only what you paid and that's it. Produce a receipt or you may be liable to argue its cost.  I can't go back to get more,  you idiots. Certainly not the type of customer service you would expect back home and since most of these foreigners working there already hate Americans, being in a service oriented business just feeds that hate even more. You can see it in their responses and condescending ways. They are trained well to be scripted and nice but if you have a brain you get a sense of what's going on. The illusion isn't worth the money in my opinion.

Best part of the trip. Standard inside room. But construction went on at all hours of the night and they act like they've investigated but it's all a facade. Noise at 2:30am can't be addressed at 8:30am the next day. Room attendants were the best. They were well compensated by us since this was the best part of the trip.
Miami, Florida
George Town, Grand Cayman
Never got there, thanks to Royal Caribbean.
Key West, Florida

Stay off of it. It was a refurbished ship that wasn't ready to go out.

1 Comment