Empress of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Fabulous itinerary

Sail Date: March 01, 2006

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Have just returned from a cruise on The Empress (Southern Carribbean), 11 nights. Ports of call made this trip worthwhile. Have cruised before on The Brilliance (beautiful ship). No comparison. The Empress was much smaller in every way. The staterooms were tiny, this created a lot of problems with my husband and two children. No luggage space, we had to store our luggage in another closet in the ship and live out of a suitcase under the bed. After about five days we got used to it!!!.

When docking (most of the time in the early morning we were wakened around 5.00am with the shuttering noise of the engine trying to manoever into the dock. This was explained to us in a meeting during the cruise that it was because it was a much older ship.

The food in the dining room was acceptable, not big portions but if you asked for some more this was never a problem. The windjammer cafe was always packed out and there were problems trying to find seats when we eventually did get our food. After two days I gave up and ate all my meals in the dining room. Breakfast there was especially good.

The entertainment was great. The cruise director did a fabulous job in arranging fantastic shows. Even the children enjoyed the shows!!

Shops on board were very small but had the basic essentials. I found that in a couple of the ports of call that the items were less expensive than the ship. St
Marteen was great for cigarettes and alcohol (really cheap)

What I found worst of all had to be the adventure ocean club for the children. I know I keep referring to my previous cruise which was fab in every way. This ocean club was horrendous. Whilst the staff were fantastic and coped well with the little facilities they had, the whole place needed pulled out. There was a sticky dirty grey carpet. A room tiny for all the children that attended. Not enough toys for the children. My two nieces were injured and cut on the slide which was located indoors in the club. There was little to no natural daylight getting into the room. I could go on and on.

Any how despite all the above, we did have a good cruise. Would reccommend this to a more older couple. Very little young people on board. The ports of call (9 in 11 days) were fabulous. Noel our head waiter was great with all the children on board (he knew them all by name). Anton our waiter was also great. The children were crying saying goodbye to them all!!

Pros: Ports of call

Cons: staterooms