Empress of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Far better than expected

Sail Date: January 01, 2007

Have just got back from a very relaxing 11 day cruise on the Empress. I had read the reviews from previous cruisers and was expecting the worst ship with an excellent itinery. Wrong. I took an air freshener as someone suggested the ship was old and had an odor. I never found any such thing. The rooms are REALLY small but if you are organized, it is not a problem. The shower was very tiny and had a shower curtain but unless you intend to throw a party in your bathroom, it does the job. Hot water was at a premium in the mornings and before dinner, so I started showering before I went to bed, no problem.

Excellent itinery. The ship docks at every port so you can come and go at your leisure. A definite plus. Wonderful range of ports, though St. John's Antigua was not my favorite.

Dining room was always immaculate, excellent food and very attentive and knowledgeable waiters. They knew everything from the food to what to see in the next town and the best way to get there. If you prefer buffet dining the Windjammer always had anything you might want, although crowded at times. The hamburger/hotdog late night buffet every night was great.

The entertainment was some of the best on any ship yet. Great variety and top class standards. Cruise director was great fun and his staff were always "on". Excellent.

Getting on and off the ship was really quick and easy. Don't underrate this ship because she is small, she has a big heart and I didn't notice anything lacking from the big ships.

Pros: Entertainment

Cons: Lack of hot water

Recommends Empress of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

Very clean. Staff continually working.
Extremely small - get organized!! Room cleaned within minutes of leaving it.
Wide range of food. If you can't find it on this ship, what do you eat??
Even the waiters knew about the ports of call
You must see the Newlywed Game, the Quest if you are broadminded, and definitely the Karaoke.