Emerald Princess Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Princess is cutting back

Sail Date: March 01, 2008

I have cruised 10 times before on smaller ships with Princess, including the Coral Princess, Sea Princess, Grand Princess, and Golden Princess. Although these ships are not what I would call small they are much easier to navigate around the decks and seem to have much less congestion when trying to get around on board. The Emerald Princess is just too big with so many people trying to do everything. The dining experience is also changed by way of cutting back. What used to be an exemplary experience is now, with the new menu, nothing special. If you want the best dining experience you now have to pay for it in the alternative dining restaurants. The main dining menu leaves a lot to be desired compared to prior Princess cruises.

Pros: I loved the balcony dining for breakfast!

Cons: The crowds on the ship

Recommends Emerald Princess? No.

The Emerald Princess is just too big with people everywhere. Public areas where very nice and always kept very clean. The ships dcor was very pleasant. The ships lay out seemed O.K. however I did not appreciate the traditional dining room located by itself in the rear of the ship with limited elevator access.
Since I began cruising with Princess in 2001, the food was a main attraction for me. The menu was fantastic as was attention to every detail. The main dining menus were outstanding as was the buffet with a lot of fresh fruit and many choices. I was enormously disappointed with the food on the Emerald however. The menu has changed which to me reflects cut backs being made by Princess. Gone are the twin lobster tails being replaced by a single smaller lobster tail and gulf shrimp. I was told if I wanted another lobster tail all I had to do was order it. I did order one, and waited until everyone else had finished dining until it arrived. When I asked the Matre D if we would have the avocado halves stuffed with shrimp I was told, "Yes, they will be on the menu." They never were available and were replaced with a few thin slices of avocado topped with a few shrimp. The new menu is lacking choices and designed to have diners not order as much food with fewer selections.
Overall I was quite pleased with the entertainment although I have seen the same comedian on other Princess cruises as well as the stage shows being repeats from year to year.
The staff on board the Emerald was outstanding, friendly, hard working, to ensure the best service. The dining staff and room steward did go above and beyond to ensure our satisfaction. When I talked with the Matre D and the Captain as they walked together, I felt as if I was talking to big business people and their replies were what I wanted to hear and was not sincere.
The stateroom was very nice located on the Lido deck. Size of the room was adequate and very comfortable. The balcony seemed to enhance the room greatly. Our room steward was excellent and had only our comfort in mind. He was friendly and very helpful always available for any requests or information.