Disney Wonder Cruise Review to Mexico

WONDERful Holiday Cruise

Sail Date: November 01, 2012

While this was my second Disney cruise, it was the first for my wife and kids, along with some friends. All total, it was my family of 4, my parents, our friends' family of 4, one set of their parents and a brother for a total of 13. Kids were aged 2-5.

This cruise on the Disney Wonder started in San Pedro (Los Angeles Port), had a couple days at sea, then a day in Puerto Vallarta, a day and a half in Cabo San Lucas, finishing with a day at sea before returning to Los Angeles.

Overall, it was a fabulous cruise. We took up 3 outside view cabins and one inside at the front of the ship.

The Good:

Service and crowd control. The ship never really felt crowded. Even the really popular events weren't too crowded. Service everywhere was fantastic. I particularly liked how far they went to keep the ship clean.

Our servers were adequate. No real complaints, but they didn't particularly stand out either. The assistant server did entertain the kids on occasion, but we never felt any particular special care. I'm a firm believer of set dining times because I like having the same servers. This allows them to recognize my habits. For example, I always have a Coke at my meals. On my other cruises, the servers, after a couple of days or so, figure that out and learn to just have a Coke ready for me when I arrive so I don't have to wait. That's about the minimum I expect in order to rate them outstanding. Never happened here. They were very polite and attentive, just didn't go above the bare minimum that I expect.

Our room steward was fantastic though. He would give us special sheets. Some days, it would be Princess sheets for my daughter. Other days, he would use Cars sheets for my son. These special sheets were noticeably softer than the standard bedding too. I also caught him cleaning our room one day. He used a cleaning solution and was wiping down EVERY hard surface you could touch. Places I didn't expect, like the walls, sides of desks, etc. Made

Pros: Cleanliness, crowd control, dining room food, entertainment

Cons: Lack of late night dining, itinerary, ship showing some age

Recommends Disney Wonder? Yes!

Showing some age. Worst was Animator's Palate dining room, where the magic screens don't show the colors perfectly
Can't deduct half star, but my main complaint was that after the anytime restaurants up on the pool deck close, there's really no more food beyond room service. I'm just used to that cruising age when you literally could and would eat 24/7. I thought the dining room food was much better than the buffet/anytime restaurants. Other reviewers feel differently I guess. I'm from California and used to eating from top rated restaurants in SF and LA FWIW. I think In & Out makes the best hamburger. I prefer Italian over French. Judge my palate accordingly.
This is where Disney wins big. Had a porthole room, but same as most inside cabins (nearly the cheapest category). Bathrooms are HUGE for a cruise ship, and they're split with two toilets. An actual tub! Most impressively though, our steward cleaned EVERYWHERE! I dunno if he reached the roof, but he basically did everything below the roof that was a hard surface. Under tables and desks, to the side, etc. And the specialty sheets (Cars or Princess) are MUCH softer than the regular ones. Ask for them.
As expected, overall, staff was fantastic and generally were awesome. Our dining staff was ok, but did not go above and beyond IMO. Can't really complain about that, but when the other staff were so awesome...
Again, as expected, Disney really knows how to plan activities and put them on. Fantastic. I didn't get a chance to do any of the adult themed stuff, but friends said they were good. These friends can be picky so I'm going to assume they were great if they loved it.
I really liked how they separated the age groups so much. As a kid, I hated being lumped into too large groups. I guess it's to be expected that Disney would do well here.