Disney Wonder Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

A Great Family Vacation

Sail Date: June 07, 2011

Traveled As: Family w/young children

The Disney Wonder is an older ship, but still clean. We noticed a lot of ship repair going on throughout the cruise even days at sea. Although the weather was nice when we went (high 60's), geting out of the pools in the wind was not so nice. The pools were heated so if you could bear the cold afterwards it was worth the time to bring a suit. The restaurants were nice, the food ok. The Beach Blanket Buffet seemed to have better food than the restaurants, or maybe it was because the food was hotter, and you had a view of the beautiful scenery. I've been on several cruise lines , and the atrium was a disappointing. I expected "WOW" from Disney. and if you weren't looking you'd pass it all together.

Pros: The shows and constant character greetings were awesome for the whole family!

Cons: The food was just ok. I expected to be wowed, but it was just plain old food, nothing spectacular.

Recommends Disney Wonder? Yes!

The ship was clean but they were constantly painting and repairing the ship. At times strong paint odors overtook the hallways.
I've cruised several times and prefer anytime dining. We had first seating at 5:45 and with all the activities and scheduled port days, it was quite difficult to get dressed and to dinner on time each night. The worst planned day was ariving to port at 1:45 pm and having ot be back on ship for a semi-formal night with lobster dinner by 5:45. We didn't make it due to excusrions, and apparently half the other early diners didn't make it either, so the dining rooms were slammed later that evening with everyone wanting to eat the best dinner of the entire cruise. Although our servers never said anything, you did feel pressured to eat quickly as they had to get you out to clean and set up for the next seating of dinner. As for the food it was ok. Nothing yo uwould ask seconds of, and the desserts were mediocre.
There was plenty of activities for the kids, but my kids felt overwhelmed at times, because activities were scheduled 5-10 minutes apart and they didn't have time to finish one activity before rushing off to the next. Also some of the activities they wanted to do were right in the middle of dinner, so they had to choose the activity or eating with their family. My 2 year old wanted to go into the kids club, where there was a playground and movies, but she was stuck with the babies in the nursery. When I went in the the club with my 5 year old I noticed several kids running wild and it wasn't really safe to have 3-10 year olds in the same club. They should separte the ages more or have more staff supervising.
The room was quite large for a ship stateroom and we fit comfortably. There was plenty of storage for all our stuff and the beds were heavenly.
The satff were always friendly and willing to help. One day towards the end of the cruise my 5 year old left her lanyard with all her disney pins she had collected in one of the showrooms. It was never turned into lost and found, and she was heartbroken.We went into to the store to see if someone turned it in there, but no luck. When the staff member in the store heard she gave my daughter a whole bunch of her pins and a new lanyard. I couldn't believe how generous she was. My daughter was thrilled to have some new pins to replace the ones she had lost.
The Disney Wonder did not disapppoint. There were so many activities for the kids at times it was hard to decide what to do. The shows were great for all ages, and kept our 2 year old's interest the entire show. There were characters everywhere all the time, and they went out of their way to make time for each and every child. One night we actually got to spend 15 minutes with Donald and mickey outside on one of the decks. we were the only ones out there and Donald played with the kids the whole time.
Juneau, Alaska
We took a private van tour around the city. Saw some eagles, played down at the lake of the Mendenhall Glacier. The Tracy Arm was more spectacular as the Mendenhall Glacier has receded a lot. Had lunch at the Red Dog Saloon in town. The entertainment wasn't appropriate for kids, but they didn't really notice the words to the songs he was singing.
Skagway, Alaska
We rode the Yukon Pass Railway up the mountai., It was beautiful and the crew was wonderful. The town was quaint with lots of typical port shops.
Ketchikan, Alaska
If you love shopping for unique gifts, this is the place. They had many locally crafted items for reasonable prices. And the totem poles were really fun to look at.