Disney Wonder Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

A wonderful experience!

Sail Date: December 20, 2007

This was our first cruise and a delightful experience. We decided we'd go again on a Disney Cruise, with or without the grandsons. The entire crew was wonderfully upbeat. Even the maintenance crew looked like they enjoyed their jobs. Everything was spotless! I loved our spacious stateroom. It was more than I expected since we couldn't afford the top dollar room. And, we so appreciated that they could give us an adjoining room to our daughter and her family. It made getting ready as well as visiting so much easier. (We only get to see them once or twice a year.) The variety of activities for the kids meant we adults could also spend some quality time together. The December weather was perfect for two Alaskans - not too hot or cold. It truly was a wonderful experience. My hsuband who has resisted a cruise for years was the first to say "Let's go Disney again and try the Caribbean this time!"

Pros: spacious cabins and upbeat staff

Cons: photo ops and food options weren't well explained

Recommends Disney Wonder? Yes!

A great variety of entertainment and activities. I loved having the Disney movies available all day long. The grandsons were thrilled with their activities. They had so many things to do without needing us that it was both a loss and a blessing. Mostly we relaxed in the adult-only areas of the ship.
Our grandsons technically are on their parents' reservation, so they'll comment as well. At ages 7 and 13 it was a perfect time for them on the Disney Wonder. We rarely saw them. From their excited stories about what they'd done each day, I can say on their behalf that it was "the best" time they'd ever had. The 7 year old is just shy of his 8th birthday and was so thrilled that they let him go with the 8 year olds. The boys couldn't wait for breakfast to end so they could rejoin their groups each day.
We were a little concerned about the high number of passengers, but the design of the ship Disney Wonder and the many activities meant passengers were all over the ship and not congregated into a small area. We never felt crowded. Everything was spotless and well maintained.
The food was excellent and plentiful. My husband like that he could go to the soda station for a help-yourself beverage whenever he pleased. Only the evening meal was well explained. We found the other food options by chance. I goofed on guessing the timing when we'd want dinner, so 2 of the 3 formal dinners were missed. We enjoyed the food in the buffet as well as the various snack bars instead. It was fresh, tasty, and plentiful.
The stateroom on the Disney Wonder was three times the size of one I visited on another cruise line. It was so great to have a queensize bed, plus the two bathroom arrangement made it so easy for two to get ready in the morning.
Staff didn't hover, but it seemed someone was right there anytime I looked the least bit lost or puzzled over something. It made us feel pampered!
Maybe it was our age, but we just couldn't get into the shopping. Besides the prices being as high as at home, we come from a tourist town and the same shops are there. We returned to the ship after 2 hours on shore. I was disappointed that the historical areas of town were so hard to find.
Don't Miss: We had a good time at the Pirates' Museum. Very interesting.
Castaway Cay (Disney Private Island)
We rented bikes and the paddle boats. They were great exercises after a couple days of "relaxing" aboard ship. We spent most of the day in a beach chair on the adult beach - once again our grandsons were off with their groups doing fun activities. We so enjoyed the sunshine and surf.