Dawn Princess Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Once in a lifetime

Sail Date: May 17, 2008

We chose the Dawn Princess because she left and returned to San Francisco. In retrospect, we should have flown to Alaska and cruised from there. We wanted to see more of the wilderness, but ended up in our stateroom watching movies most of the time.

I believe this is a great cruise for older vacationers 60+ years old. The theatre production shows and entertainers are geared more for the older generation. If your young and single, this is not the cruise you will find other young singles, unless you include the ships crew.

The ship: The Dawn Princess is a very nice and clean ship. The crew does a great job keeping her clean and organized. We had a stateroom with a balcony, and I would highly recommend anyone spending that much time and going to a place that beautiful to spend the extra money and book the stateroom with balcony. The ship has a nice gym that is rarely use by the passengers.

At sea: There is a lot of days spent at sea on the 10 day Alaska cruise. If you like to gamble, its perfect. But I don't, so I spent most of the time sleeping, watching movies, planning my meals, and working out. There are activities scheduled throughout the day both at sea and at port, I just wasn't interested in them. The nighttime entertainment was good, but was geared more for older cruisers. The swimming pools were useless on our late May cruise because it was too cold.

Ports of call: There are four ports of call on the 10 day Alaska cruise. We waited until we got to the ship to ask around about the shore excursions for each port. We got some good suggestions form the excursions staff. There are a lot of jewelry and diamond shops at the port cities of Juneau and Ketchikan, a lot!

Food: Not much to say here. Its all you can eat 24 hours a day. That just means you will grow old of the selection that much sooner. We chose to dine the traditional way with a late seating for dinners. I like it this way more because we got the same head and junior waiters every night. They remember your preferences and you get to build a friendship with them. Each night there is a different selection to choose from, but none of the dishes really stood out as being great. I really would have liked to have seen more of a variety of cuisines.

Pros: Clean ship, friendly staff, fun shore excursions, beautiful views, Alaska

Cons: Beds are uncomfortable, didn't get to see the glacier at Tracy Arm, shows geared more towards older crowd

Recommends Dawn Princess? Yes!

Could use a little more variety
Bed was uncomfortable. My wife and I took turns slipping into the crack formed by the two smaller beds pushed together to form a big one.
Performers and performances were good but the content was geard more for older guest
Great friendly staff
Juneau, Alaska

Don't Miss: don't miss the opportunity to walk on the Mendenhall Glacier
Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), Alaska
small community that seems to only exist for the cruise ships
Ketchikan, Alaska
We did the flightseeing and all you can eat crab, them realized we get all you can eat on the ship. Not crab though.
Victoria, British Columbia