Dawn Princess Cruise Review to Mexico

Not One of the Best Cruises

Sail Date: January 20, 2008

A little old, not very updated

Pros: Anytime Dining

Cons: Food, Entertainment, and Cabin

Recommends Dawn Princess? No.

Many of the public bathrooms were not clean. Looks like the Dawn Princess is getting a little worn out. Rust on ralings, etc..
Food was edible but not very good. Menu was booring and did not offer anything except standard fare. Design of Horizon Court was terrible. The buffet was always crowded and the layout of the food made it so that people did not have enough room. Anytime dining is a good idea, but then they allowed people to make reservations, so that if I really wanted to dine at 8pm they were full and I had to wait until 9:15pm one night. SO it really was not anytime dining at all. Either make it reservations or not. The quote "Sterling Steakhouse" was a joke. They just closed off half of the Horizon Court buffet at night and called it the "Sterling Steakhouse". It wasn't even a separate restaurant, and they wanted $15 per person for that. I've been on Royal Caribbean many times and they have a beautiful steakhouse. The service in the dining room was pretty good most of time.
We had a balcony stateroom on Baja Deck 10. It was the smallest I have seen. The bathroom is extremely claustrophobic and the stateroom was very small also. The tv in the room was a tiny 13 inch Sony. The bed was like a board and my back is still killing me.
The quality of the entertainment in general was really bad. The comedians were not funny. The dancers were pretty good though... Most of the entertainment seemed geared for the 70+ and older crowd. The cruise director should be re-assigned. On their "Mexican Fiesta NIght" on deck he had a bamd that played "Under the Boardwalk" and other songs completely unrelated to anything "Mexican". A mariachi band would have been a good choice!!
Wait staff pretty good, stateroom attendant not attentive at all. The shore excursion staff did not seem interested in helping you unless you wanted to book a shore excursion. I just asked if there was a beach I could walk to and I had to literally pry it out of her.
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Mazatlan, Mexico
Nice beaches, if you can get the crew to tell you where to go. We went to the El Cid Hotel in the Golden Zone and they let us use their pools and beach
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
It was cold and rainy when we were there so I really can't say much. Don't eat at Squid Roe, one of the ship's recommended restaurants. It took us 2 hours to eat and we just had ceviche and guacomole.