Italian cruises not for Americans

Costa Serena Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

7 Night Ancient Treasures (Venice Roundtrip)
Sail Date: September 12, 2010
Ship: Costa Serena
As an American, I expect a certain level of customer service. Costa Cruise lines did not meet my expectations at all. For example, we were sold a room directly below the kitchen. It was so loud that there was no chance of us sleeping. We complained at least 2-3 times/ night (I even cried I was so upset about my trip being ruined by lack of sleep). We were put off for 5 days being told that the manager would be leaving a note at our room to let us know what they could do for us. They never left any note and had no intention of doing so. It was just a way to get rid of us for the moment. Day 5 of the cruise we finally sat down with the boat manager who told us that there was nothing that he could do. When asked if they would compensate us in any way, he said that that is not their policy. Apparently, the customer is always right has not made it into their culture yet. It was the worst vacation of my life. And, we could barely walk through the ship because of all of the cigarette smoke. My advice--stick with an American cruise line.

Pros: food

Cons: poor customer service, noise in our cabin, smoking all over the boat

Recommends Costa Serena? No.