Costa Mediterranea Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

The worst cruise I've ever been on!

Sail Date: October 01, 2007

First let me say that this ship went out of Venice to Greece and Croatia. for half of the year it goes out from Fort Lauderdale and the staff and food changes. This is my 7th cruise and was horrified at many things. There was blatant discrimination against Americans the entire time we were on the ship. This is mainly an Italian ship with Italian staff and crew. We were treated poorly, they group everyone by nationality on the tender boats, excursions, etc. Guess who was always last? We were. We waited for hours to leave the ship for an excursion because the English went last and they let the entire ship off before us. We were not the only Americans that felt this way. We complained to the front desk numerous times and finally ended up getting a bottle of champagne for the way were treated. There are absolutely no rules on this ship. Hottubs were to be for no one under 18 and at all times there were 12-15 kids in each hottub. We complained non-stop and they said they had no one to enforce the rule. Kids from the age of 1 to 15 were in all the bars, clogging the dance floors, at all the shows, in the casino and running rampant in the hallways. We would go into the theater for the horrible shows and we would trip over the line of strollers that lined the rows.

The worst food I have ever had in my life. The airline food we had going over and back was like a 5 star meal compared to this. Shrimp the texture of mashed potatoes, rotten fish, beef the consistency of shoe leather and virtually everything on their menu was pre-frozen. Yuck!

The absolutely only redeeming factor was the itinerary and even that needed some work.

Pros: Ports of Call

Cons: The discrimination against Americans, the food

Recommends Costa Mediterranea? No.

Being my 7th cruise, I was expecting much more from the food. I did realize from the other reviews I had read that the food wasn't as good as other cruises but I didn't expect it to be in-edible. We stopped going to dinner because we wouldn't eat the meals they were so bad. Many things we ate one bite of and sent the rest of the meal back. It was disgusting. The deserts were no better than some jello with sponge cake. The ice cream machine was always broken. After the first morning we never had breakfast again. For one, the food was the same with cereal, horrible meats, dryed up croissants, instant eggs and mcdonalds hash browns. Second, because you would get shoved out of the line, pushed, knocked into and you could NEVER find a table. Just order room service with some coffee and a few rolls and then eat in port. The best food on the ship would have been the buffets at lunch time. The only thing that was fabulous was the pizza.
Was treated horribly, was knocked into, pushed shoved, ignored. We painted some "vases" with my group of 3 friends and we were told we couldn't sit together and had to split up and move to other tables. We were not listened to and complaints about anything were responded with a glazed look.
We saw one good show. The others were laughable. No laughing with but laughing at.
We called this the Kinder Cruise because of the massive amounts of children running rampant on every square inch of the ship.
This is a beautiful ship and is fairly new. It is the identical ship to the Carnival Legend but with a less garish decor. It was nice and spotless.
Very nice and clean. Only saw the cabin steward 1 time. The day we got there.