Celebrity Summit Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Second Mate

Old and tired

Sail Date: September 21, 2013

We found this ship to be very old and in need of many updates.  There were many places of peeling paint and stained grout.  The plug on the desk was broken.  The ship had an outbreak of an intestinal flu where there was about 50% of the passengers sick, including my husband.  They announced on ship that they would be sending out a credit for the inconvenience.  My husband was in bed for three days.  When we went to the medical offices, we waited for an hour in line just to see the nurse.  That was about the sickest my husband has been.  Well, we never received a credit.  I called six months later and then they sent out a credit for $100 for a future cruise.  That sure didn't make up for three days in bed and me sitting with him.  I couldn't go on shore excursions while he was sick in bed.

Then, they came in the room and removed the throw pillows, the bed skirt, and the bed scarf and comforter.  The room looked very sad with all of that gone.  They said they did that so everything could be cleaned and would be put back in time for the next cruise.   That entire experience really put a damper on our trip.  The buffet was changed where no one could serve themselves even the coffee, so it made waiting a long time the usual.  Even salt and pepper had to be put on for you in the dining room, which wasn't always a fast process.  The only positive that came out of that trip was that the ports were very interesting.

The single most worst thing was that the toilets never had any water in them.  It required you to clean the toilet yourself after every use... and that was in the public bathrooms as well as our cabin bathroom.  The toilet paper was so rough that I went out at one of the ports and purchased my own.  When you have an intestinal flu you have to have something that doesn't hurt with use.

We are elite members on Celebrity so we are not new to cruising.  I certainly will never again take a cruise on this ship, the Summit.  It needs to be retired.

Don't take it.