Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review to Transatlantic

Amazing cruise!

Sail Date: November 01, 2009

My husband and I decided that for our 40th wedding anniversary we wanted an extraordinary celebration. By chance we came across an ad of Celebrity Cruises in which it described the trip we ended up booking. What an amazing experience! This so say the least.
The memories of this cruise will be in our hearts forevermore. We planned everything very carefully and I am pleased to say that the cruise exceeded our expectations a hundred fold.
The Solstice, which as I understand is going on its second year, is nothing less than paradise in the shape and form of a sea vessel. It's luxurious but never tacky. The distribution of all the main guest areas is superb and our cabin was delightful.
I have to praise all the crew members. All on board went above and beyond to assist us or serve us. One thing I tell my children and my friends is that everyone was always smiling, always happy, and it was quite genuine too.
My husband and I were especially moved with all the efforts that the staff made to make us feel so welcome and warm as we celebrated such an important event in both our lives. I am truly grateful.
I will make only 2 observations, and this is important. The Solstice has potential to be one of the best ships ever created. As it becomes more well known, I am sure future passengers will be as impressed as we were. The following areas might have a bit of room for improvement, though:
1) Bad weather is truly out of anyone's control. Nonetheless, the passenger's full satisfaction--and safety--should never be on the back burner. Icy rain and strong winds welcomed us as we were about to disembark in Livorno (Italy). This portion of the trip was supposed to be one of the highlights for both us, since we are very fond of Florence. The ship couldn't arrive to Livorno, as planned. Instead, we docked at La Spezia. We had booked the shore excursion to Florence and Pisa. We were taken to shore in a small boat under horrific weather conditions. What I think you should have done--and I am sure a lot of fellow voyagers would agree--is to offer us alternatives, such as a refund, or a special activity on board of the ship...Sadly this didn't happen and my husband and I could not enjoy neither Florence or Pisa as we would have hoped.
2) The food everywhere on board was first class most of the time. The waiters we had the pleasure to meet were incredible. Usually we both enjoyed dinner at the main dining room, The Grand Epernay. One night, though, our food was not cooked to order. The chef, whom crew members praised constantly, advised that, unfortunately, they had about 3000 orders to attend to and this was unfortunate. In a ship that prides itself on outstanding service, this really shouldn't be an issue. Please do take note of this for future oversea trips.
Again, we would like to extend our congratulations for such an awesome job of the staff, and thank you also for giving us this opportunity to express our sentiments. I've recommended Celebrity Cruises to all our acquaintances. We shall enjoy happy memories for decades to come

Pros: The ship itself

Cons: The poor quality of the DVD they sold as souvenir at the end of the cruise

Recommends Celebrity Solstice? Yes!