Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

glitz, glamour, and good food

Sail Date: January 01, 2010

The Celebrity Solstice was a design and decorating masterpiece, with attractive, often ingenious details everywhere you turn. It won't appeal to more traditional tastes, though; it looks like a combination of the starship Enterprise and a disco.
Use of space is generous to say the least. The central atrium was mostly for show, but I could swear that the corridors were a good 20 or 25% wider than on other ships just a few years older. It's enough to make the corridors appear spacious instead of claustrophobic. The stateroom was also larger, including the bathroom--not quite spacious, but very usable and very livable for a week.
I could have lived without some of the artwork, but the ship itself is also a work of art.

Pros: fellow passengers, food, decor

Cons: dead or dying coral

Recommends Celebrity Solstice? Yes!

There were always three or four things going on at any given moment. The singers and dancers were all good, in a few cases amazingly good, but their material was even more homogenized (except for a circus show) than others we've seen. The two headliners were pretty good, but we've heard and seen a lot better.
We don't hang out in cocktail lounges, so we can't comment on some of the performers, but the groups that we saw ranged from exceptional to really excptional. The steel-drum player is obviously talented, but the recorded accompaniments have never been my favorite, and a little steel-drum music goes a long way.
The shore excursions were well-organized, but it was heart-breaking to see how the reefs have deteriorated. I remember vibrantly colored coral and shoals of colorful fish; now the coral is mostly gray and the fish are greatly reduced in number, size, and variety.
We didn't try the specialty restaurants because there was no good reason to skip dinner in the main dining room. I wasn't crazy about 2 of my entrees, but I think I liked all of the appetizers, soups, and salads. Desserts were exceptional, and if the daily specials didn't appeal to you you could always get a really good creme brulee.
Public areas were essentially spotless.
There were a number of passengers in wheelchairs, so the ship must be set up for accessibility. It's so seamless that I barely noticed it.
We booked at a time when it didn't cost much to upgrade to the little veranda, so comparisons to previous cruises are a little unfair. The size was remarkable for the price, the lighting was fine after we figured out the switches, the bed was comfortable. The stateroom as a whole was very neat and clean until we got there and started leaving pocket contents on top of the dresser. We could really have done with a pull-out string (or two) across the shower, but if you want to rinse out your bathing suits or any other clothes you'll have to improvise a place to dry them.
Service was attentive without being fawning, and the dining room wait staff quickly learned our preferences. The entire ship's company appeared to speak English much better than those of other ships we've traveled on, possibly because there are so many different nationalities that few crew members could function without having a common language.