Alaska Summer Cruise - Aug 2006

Celebrity Mercury Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Sail Date: August 01, 2006
Ship: Celebrity Mercury
We had a large group of 13 Family and Friends sailing the last week of August on the Celebrity - Mercury. The overall experience is one I will never forget, however, I am not sure I would like to travel on this cruise line again. The ocean view stateroom was disappointingly small and not set up for the (3) travelers pre-booked for a room that was to accomodate up to (5) people. This was our first impression of the ship, and when we opened the door to find the room set up with one double bed and no place to bring in our (6) bags of luggage we made our first of many contacts with guest services. This was a fully booked ship. Elevators were always full, very small and slow to arrive. The Buffet lines were long and it was difficult to find a place to sit. Besides those issues, the food, the nightly entertainment, and the staff were wonderful and always immediately helpful. I was "Madam" everytime anyone addressed me. The ship had some very comfortable enclosed observation areas, but our weather was fantastic and it was better to be outdoors. The best advice I could give another traveler considering this cruise is to book a balcony "odd" number room on "Port" side of the ship to view Hubbard Glacier from the comfort of your suite. Even with the sun, at 7AM the temp was 36 with windchill. The hot bread bowls of soup served on deck were wonderful. The Alaskan beauty of the mountains, glacier, music and narration was peaceful and calming for the rest of the day at sea.

Quality of food was excellent and dining ambiance was extremely pleasant. The buffet was only open for breakfast and lunch. It closed for evening dining leaving only casual dining and the pizza/pasta station open.

Pros: The Magnificent Beauty of Alaska

Cons: Port Time Too Short to go on Tours and still have time to see the City.