Celebrity Mercury (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Mexico

Poor Quality Cruise

Sail Date: December 01, 2006

My husband and I purchased this cruise for my son and his wife for their honeymoon. Based on general reviews we assumed this would be a good cruise for them. There were a number of disappointments with the quality of this cruise. First, the quality of food was substandard and basically was cafeteria-style food. It appears the median age for this cruise was somewhere between 75 and death and consequently the food was bland at best. Also, vegetarian choice does not mean thrown 6 vegetables together on a plate and smile. Very unimaginative and once again, bland.

The pool was unheated. Despite a inquiry from them as to why and the promise that it would be, the outdoor pool was never warmer than 50 degrees. Consequently, they were unable to use it.

Unlike other cruises I have been on, the indoor pool could only be used if one paid a "daily" rate of $20, or paid a minimum of $320 for a spa package. No other cruise ship I have sailed on has had a restriction other than "adults only" for the interior spa pool. At every turn, this cruise became very much "a la carte" and of poor quality.

There were limited dining periods and other than a pizza or hamburger type after hours dining choice. Room service was minimal at best.

We purchased this cruise on Celebrity thinking it was a step above our regular cruise line Royal Caribbean. Nothing could be further from the truth. This was a substandard cruise and nothing remotely luxurious about it. I would rank this ship below a low-end Carnival cruise.

In all fairness to the staff, they did an excellent job.

Pros: The staff

Cons: The food

Recommends Celebrity Mercury (RETIRED)? No.