Celebrity Mercury (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

A nice time

Sail Date: January 01, 2010

Lots of older people on this cruise. Mostly people in their 80's.
(We just turned 50)...
Lots of wheelchairs, walkers, etc.
I've heard the longer the cruise you more you see this. Not that there is anything wrong with it but most people were in bed by 11 pm. They had a piano player. The entertainment and trivia was geared for older people.
If you are looking for a party boat, definitely go with Carnival. For a more relaxing cruise, Celebrity is great. The waitstaff is amazing. They go out of their way to serve you and make you happy. Excllent service everywhere on the ship. I wasn't a fan of the food in the main dining room. It was good but I found it hard to find things that I liked. The "classic" side of the menu was better (steak, chicken, shrimp cocktail) as opposed to the right side of the menu (quail, lamb, and things I would never eat). The buffet was pretty good, lots of normal things there. The desserts were good there too.
Great waffle station in the buffet area. Pizza, burgers were really good also.The weather was unusually cold for January but we had a great day in Coco Cay Bahamas, that was about 80 and sunny. People did get sunburned, so don't forget your sunscreen!
Not much to do on the ship other than the Casino. They did have 1 or once in awhile 2 activites to do every hour. They had some board games they put out for people to play. Carnival usually had 4 or 5 things to do and a wider variety of stuff to do. I did like the lack of announcements over the intercom system vs Carnival announcing BINGO every time it's offered. That got annoying fast. Celebrity offers you champagne when you board the ship and has hot chocolate, juice, etc at every port when you get back on after a day at port. That was a nice touch. Every cruiseline is different. I'm glad we got to experience Celebrity, but my favorite cruise is the next one I will be booking. Who knows with what cruiseline but as long as I am cruising I will be happy!!

Pros: Coco Cay Bahamas

Cons: the weather

Recommends Celebrity Mercury (RETIRED)? Yes!