Celebrity Mercury (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Mexico

Not the greatest Honeymoon

Sail Date: October 01, 2006

My husband and I went on this cruise for our honeymoon, and it was memorable for all of the wrong reasons. The food and our wait staff were the ONLY things that were great. The Norovirus was a HUGE problem and half of the ship was sick and quarantined to their rooms, INCLUDING the staff (with strict orders not to leave their rooms for 3 days....one lady wanted to get out of her inside cabin for air, and was kicked off of the boat and left in Puerto Vallarta to find her own way back home.....This was a fact because I talked to her myself) , so service overall was poor and slow, which made buffet lines outrageous, and the boat (besides being outdated and worn down...I mean c'mon, it was built in 1997..... UPDATE it please!) was dirty, and covered in bleach (staff sprayed it everywhere due to the virus.... on the walls, carpet, all over the beautiful glass decor and even our door handle!!) ... It ruined one of my shirts and 2 of my husband's..... The hallways were always dirty, and I actually saw the same piece of cookie on the floor outside of my stateroom for 3 days straight. Room service took atleast an hour and half to receive, and getting off of the boat in port was like a lottery... we would take a number and wait for it to be called, which on average would take 45 mins to an hour. The worst thing of all that really bothered me was that we didn't even find out about the sickness untill 2 days into the cruise and that the last 3 cruises had had the same problems, and they STILL let this cruise go out knowing these issues.

Pros: The wait staff in the restaurant was fabulous!

Cons: BLEACH everywhere, norovirus ruined everything, buffet lines, ship was run down and dirty

Recommends Celebrity Mercury (RETIRED)? No.

Needs some serious revamping! Very outdated
I was hoping for atleast a comedian or a magician... something other than a musical or dancers. The poolside games were mildly entertaining at best, and the casino was nice and provided entertainment for us, except for all of the bleach all over the machines and the fact that they kick you out at 1 am.
The food was AWESOME and so was our wait staff...They remembered our names what drinks we liked, and were always interested in our day and our excursions. Formal night was fun... the only things that stopped this rating from being better was 1. The last night we were supposed to have this fantastic ballroom dinner that everyone was looking forward to and telling us that its the whole reason to go on the cruise, but it was cancelled last minute.. and 2. The buffet lines were huge due to lack of staff, and due to the virus we were not able to get the food or our drinks ourselves......so to even get water took an average of 5-7 minutes to get.
The rooms were about what I expected, but just outdated and worn down.
I think the staff quality would have been flawless had there not been a virus epidemic on board. Most were very attentive and welcoming, but very overworked due to lack of staff. This one is a hard one to be fair on