Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Lifelong memories

Sail Date: May 16, 2008

Traveled As: Family w/young children

We took this cruise as a family with our daughters (11, 7). We all loved it. We chose May for alot of reasons; more inexpensive, but also less kids(mine are homeschooled and would be overwhelmed with 500 more), more coservative crowd (less chance of partiers with school and college in session), and wanting to watch Alaska emerge from winter. We would do it all over! The boat was very well kept, clean (esp the staterooms), well tended, positive happy staff (I cannot say enough good things about the Youth Staff in the FunFactory where my 7 yo was hard to extract from!), good food (altho a bit more variety would be appreciated), formal and casual dining- something for everyone, and fun/fabulous shows. There is no way to have seen more of Alaskan wilderness in this short time than we did from the windows and decks of the boat. The scenery was breathtaking (and we had blue skies!), the snow capped mountains and impressive vistas were unforgettable. Words do not do them justice. The Hubbard Glacier was phenomenal. Just by spending lots of time watching, solely from the boat we saw orca, various types of whales, seals, sea lions, Dall's porpoise, dolphins, puffins, bald and golden eagles, auks, and other various marine life. That was without even taking the side tours. And the naturalist on the boat, Brent Nixon, was the best I have ever seen. Charismatic, passionate, fun for all ages. I don't usually buy the extras, but did bring him home on DVD. My kids loved him, too.
The ports of call were beautiful as well. Our order of favorite to lesser- Sitka (clean, picturesque, wonderful close, easy and enchanting wilderness walk, eagles in abundance, nice little salmon hatchery with passionate teacher/guide), Juneau(Beuatiful capital; small town feel), Seattle (love this city and I am not a city person. Clean, lots to do and see, easy to get around), Victoria (beautiful, with more European feel, fun street entertainment, but expensive), Ketchikan(ok, still nice).
Overall, we were obviously happy with the cruise. I read these reviews before choosing; hope this helps you. I will mention, we also choose to be happy most of the time, so on your cruise, alot of it is up to you. No one thing or place can make everyone happy all the time. The Infinity did a good job trying. And a final Cheers for the Youth staff at the Fun Factory!

Pros: The magnificent views from the boat of water and wilderness, ports, cruise staff, food, shows, Brent Nixon (naturalist), overall-fantastic.

Cons: the food was great, even for casual diner, but after a few days the salad/pasta/pizza bars got old. Need a little vairety in the available food. overall, good though, even for causial diner and families (which we are). Long time to check in and out and tendering to sitka.

Recommends Celebrity Infinity? Yes!

Good for foraml or ccasual diner. More variety at the "always open bars" would b great in the buffet area.
Clean, a bit out dated in decor style, but functional, staterooms amazingly comfortable for being small as crusie cabins are, very well kept. Could improve on the tendering into Sitka and the check in lines were long, and departing took some time as well.
Great staff. Clean, comfortable.
Very friendly, a bit silly, try to keep people happy. Willing to help. Youth staff were great.
Shows were high energy and fun; good for all ages. great singers and dancers.
Brent Nixon is a eal asset to the cruise. They should attempt to steal him from his research every chance he gives them.
While one of my children did not use this service (it just isn't her style when she could be watching out for wildlife), my other child was hard to extract from the youth program. Being that this department is given very limited space (I cannot imagine it with more kids and there were only 90 on board and way fewer using theservice), the staff does a great job. Very professional, yet fun and willing to make the crusie fun for kids, thereby making parents happy. They had fun activities, Bingo, and a talent show...my child like the free play most and met other kids from all over. The staff isthe greatest attribute. The facilities are ok; probably oculd be better. I am not sure their department is given much weight for value by the company, but I will say that they are a BIG reason I would crusie Infinity again.