Celebrity Galaxy (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

It's been better

Sail Date: December 15, 2006

Traveled As: Family w/young children

My family and I, including our 19 month old daughter were on the Dec. 15th sailing of the Galaxy. While we all thouroghly enjoyed the ports and the itinerary, some of the "services" that have made Celebrity one of the best were not always observed. Our stateroom I must say was very good. We had an oversized balcony on deck 12 where we enjoyed the room service most mornings. Our daughter really enjoed the balcony as well. We used some of the ship services and entertainment venues with no complaints except for the luggage valet service. The dining room however fell far short of our expectations. We have been on several other cruises and the one aspect of the cruise that stood out was the dining room service. The food would be considered good compared to that of average restaurants in town, but average compared to other cruises we have been on.

The dining room service however, was far from expectations. In fact I receive better service at many local chain restaurants. Mind you my big rule for good service is, how long do I have to wait for my Iced Tea to be refilled? I would think after ordering Iced Tea every night, that the moment I sat down or by the 4th, 5th, 6th or at least on tip night, my Iced Tea would be waiting for me and not the other way around. Refills were often slower than the original drink order. The same would happen with our daughter, so we just statrted going to the buffet for her milk before dinner. It was easier.

Overall we were able to relax and enjoy the cruise, primarily due to relaxing ports and the balcony.

Pros: Breakfast on the balcony

Cons: Dining Room Service

Recommends Celebrity Galaxy (RETIRED)? No.

This topic was covered primarily in the prior portion of the review. The menu selection was average, and in fact many of the menus were exactly the same as on the Mercury in April. However, it was nice to be able to order certain appetizers on any given night, such as shrimp cocktail and escargot.
The ship was clean for the most part, yet it was showing some wear and tear. You can definately see where they need to do some painting in the near future.
Good with the exception of our dining room staff.
Did not take part in a lot of the pool deck activities. They were conducted in Spanish and we only had the one sea day. One of the shows was the exact same one we saw on the Mercury in April.
Our daughter is to young for the kids program, but they let her play in the pool and they brought the toys to the lounge one day for an hour.
Very comfortable, pleny of room for the family and have I mentioned I really enjoyed the balcony. Coffee, smoothies and a bagel looking at the crystal blue Carribbean is something I could deffinately get used to.
Castries, St. Lucia
We did a private tour and had a great time. The pitons and the botanical gardens were amazing.
Don't Miss: Our tour guides mom makes a great Rum Punch.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Go to the Butterfly Farm. We rented a car and did just fine driving around the island on our own.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
The snorkeling at Cokie Beach was the best I have ever done. We saw more fish there then when we dove in Barbados.
Bridgetown, Barbados
Went and did the Scuba Diving of the shipwrecks. Getting to dive was great, although I saw just as many fish when I snorkeled in St. Thomas. Should have went with my wife to the Boathouse Resort.
St. George's, Grenada