Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review to Transatlantic

Great First Time Transatlantic Cruise

Sail Date: October 27, 2015

Enjoyed the cruise very much.  Only issue with rough seas occurred between Lanzarote and Tenerife.  This was my 2nd Celebrity cruise, the first was in 2014 on the Reflection in the Eastern Caribbean.

I had a Verandah room to myself.  Being able to just sit outside and watch (or listen) to the ocean go by is very relaxing.  Many instances of rainbows due to early AM showers.

My table assignment got changed due to circumstances beyond my control, but the Maitre'd, Martin, was very helpful and my new table turned out to be full of fun and friendly fellow cruisers.  Oleksand the waiter and Nona his assistant were very capable.  Oleksand explained each night's menu and especially emphasized the relative taste of the seafood dishes.  Not everyone likes a strong tasting fish.

The cabin attendants kept things clean and neat, although some minor details were sometimes overlooked.  Nothing earthshattering but not in keeping with what you expect from a high end brand like Celebrity.

The Molecular Bar was gone, replaced by World's Best.  Interesting craft cocktails, I had a Zacapa (rum) Old Fashioned.  Surprisingly good.  Santos clearly knew his business.  I understand a Whisky Bar is going in at the old Patio Restaurant location.  Not sure why Quasar was closed.  The Wine cellar was replaced by a Gastropub featuring craft and mass market beers and ales.  Had a HUGE handmade burger cooked to order.  Very good. Always went up to Sunset for a nightcap.  Rumors afoot that it will get a makeover in about a year.

Ate at Murano's twice, the second time as a guest of my table mates.  The flambeed lobster is just wonderful, and of course the cooking show is half the fun.  Did a Progressive Dinner, starting at the Gastropub, then on to Silk (tempura shrimp was excellent, not doughy at all!), the Tuscan Grille (via a brief Galley tour) and a wonderful filet mignon, finishing at Murano's for dessert.

Was not able to do the Behind the Scenes ship tour (3 hours, bridge, engine control room and more, ending with lunch with the officers $150) as I was at the spa.  Had a hot stone massage.  Next time will do just a swedish massage.  Coletta did my nails, very nice and enjoyable.  Finally figured out that the spa staff has productivity goals of some sort.  This is why they push products and enhancements.

I spent 3 days in Barcelona with friends.  Fabulous time.  The shore excursions at the rest of the stops were fine, nothing overly outstanding but I picked ones that interested me and was not disappointed.

Embarkation was fine in Barcelona, the usual crush and chaos (this was my 4th cruise overall.)  Disembarkation went well.  I chose to carry off my own stuff and was off the ship by 6:20 AM (we were tied up about 5 AM at the dock,)  Wound up in a line with a CBP officer who was busy photographing and fingerprinting everyone.  I have no idea why.  The Non-US line next to mine cleared out, so that officer started waving us over.  He had also photographed and fingerprinted some of the non-citiizens, but simply ran our passports through the bar code reader, and took our declarations.  Very pleasant fellow and I still wonder why the other guy was doing what he was doing.

Onboard Activities Did not engage in these for the most part.
Entertainment Did not go, but heard mixed reviews from my table mates.