Celebrity Century Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

First Cruise - A great 5 Days

Sail Date: February 09, 2009

My husband and I just got back from our 5 night sail on the Celebrity Century. This was our first cruise and I was a little nervous about how it would go, but it was wonderful. The ship was not only clean but beautiful. And even though the ship was full, it didn't feel crowded at all. There were always plenty of seats in the bar areas. My husband is vegan and they took special care of him all week. I am also vegetarian and found that there was plenty to eat. Te only thing that was a bit disappointing was that there were not many people our age on the boat. Despite what I had read about this being a more couples oriented time of year, most of the passengers were over 75.

Pros: Our Stateroom was great

Cons: The pools were small and the hot tubs closed early

Recommends Celebrity Century? Yes!

We found the quality of the food to be good. I am vegetarian and my husband is vegan so we required some special attention in the dinning room but the waiter was very helpful every night. They would show us the menu for the next day and f there wasn't something suitable they would make something specil at our request. The other dinig options were good. We certainly didn;t go hungry and we were able to find healthy options as well. The salad bar, stir-fry, made to order eggs, and plenty of fruit was available almost the whole time. The sushi bar at night was great also.
The ship was clean and beautiful. The decor is simple and not over the top. The bathrooms were clean and attended to regularly.
We didn't attend any of the shows in the theater. There was an art auction that people seemed to be buzzing about. We did attend the island pool party and found the baked Alaska parade at dinner to be really entertaining. The trivia and name that tune they did during the day was OK. I also took a fantastic yoga class with Bjorn one morning, and aside from not having a great space the class was wonderful. I didn't have time to attend the cooking demos or wine talks.
We found most staff to be friendly and helpful. By the end of the week they knew our names and our drink orders at the coffee bar, martini bar, and in the grand dinning room. My only complaint would be the cocktail service at the pool side- but really it was just as easy to walk over to the bar and order.
I was really surprised with the stateroom. We had a balcony room with a double bed but were not in the concierge class. The room was very comfortable for two people, plenty of closet space, decent sized bathroom a comfortable bed and very nice linens. Out stateroom attendant was great. Our room was clean, there was always fresh water in the pitcher and turn down service was always done before we returned from dinner. My husband also had to have a shirt cleaned/pressed for dinner and that worked out great as well.
Key West, Florida
We enjoyed Key West. We walked all over downtown and got a smoothie at Help Yourself which was really good. We ate lunch at The Cafe which was right off Duval street. I had a piece of Key lime pie and it was so worth it. We enjoyed the conch train ride in the afternoon. It was great to sit and hear the history of the island. We wished we had rented bikes and went down to the beach on our own.
George Town, Grand Cayman
We booked one of the ship excursions for this port. We were on a tour with a really nice guide who took us to the beach, the Tortuga rum factory, the town of Hell, the Turtle Sanctuary, and then out to a boat so we could visit Sting Ray City. Seing feeling and kissing the sting rays was really wild. So glad we booked that, and it was a great 30 min boat ride out to the sand bar. We enjoyed seeing some of the island via the bus. Probably won;t be rushing back to Grand Caymen any time soon but we had fun.
Don't Miss: Sting Ray City