Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

The Dollar Store of Cruises

Sail Date: March 01, 2013

OK\, the positive first. We couldn't wait to get off the ship and the self-assist debarkation was a breeze\, no wait at customs :-)... and the kids clubs were well-done\, I dropped in and they had things under control and my kids said she enjoyed the time spent there. But she was disappointed in the waterslide not working...

Where to start with the negative? Ship in general is in need of a lot of maintenance\, but the chisels and hammers and their dutiful operators we had to avoid here and there - and there was no avoiding the noise - was headache-inducing.
The silicone grout in the shower lifted away and exposed black and greyish green discoloration many locations on the shower floor during the first shower\, as if they didn't clean the surface before regrouting in a hurry. Food lines for lunch were 15-20 minutes even for burgers and fries. The sushi line wound around the ship farther than I could see. The \"entertainment\" was a joke\, and the two comedians were not worth the time spent in attendance. The cruise left port over two hours late (but it did also arrive two hours early to let us off early). The food was average at best\, even the showcased food (lobster tails\, escargot\, etc.) paled in comparison to even Red Lobster and any \"average\" French bistro. The waterslide was broken the entire cruise. They tried to open it for awhile but kids could not slide down without using their hands to push themselves along and try to prevent buttburn. We ordered room service twice. Once it did not come\, the second time it took three hours and forty-five minutes. The pools were oozing rust down the tiled sides. Carpets were old and worn. Tea station was out of tea twice and ice dispensers (I tried two) never ever had ice.

Pros: price point\, view from balcony\, self-assist debarkation

Cons: The waterslide did not work the entire cruise\, long lines for food\, no-speak-English employees...

Recommends Carnival Victory? No.

I dropped in\, unannounced\, mid-evening and was really impressed with how the young staff had things under control with about fifty 12-14 year olds.
We did our own pre-planned excursions\, so I can't comment on the Carnival excursions\, but one of the comedians needs to be put to pasture\, and the rock-n-roll show was so horrible I wanted to demand a refund of my time.
I want to give them better marks because the effort to please was consistently there\, but they just could not deliver because of being stretched too thin and/or lack of English skills.
Small\, dirty bathrooms\, someone's nose spray (used) was in the medicine cabinet when we checked into our room and there were candy wrappers on the floor. TV was ancient and the channels were intermittent\, as was the channel where you can check your balance.
I thought the food was a little under par until we disembarked and I had a decent meal at a restaurant in Miami.