Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Why to not sail carnival or at least on ship Victory

Sail Date: June 08, 2015

Ok so on day 2 of my cruise I began to write my thoughts about the cruise in hopes to point things out to you as a future carnival victory cruisers. I am just going to list my cons. There seems to be a lot, and I don't mean to sound like a complainer but if these things bother you consider yourself warned. When listing these things they are in comparison to my cruise on carnival elation in 2012 to carnival victory in June of 2015.

Boat condition:

Ancient boat, rusty a lot of broken things around the ship. Some areas smell like a fish boat and I hardly seen cleanin going on around the ship. Elation I seen people around the clock cleaning inside the ship hand rails foot boards I mean getting into it everywhere I walked on the ship. Victory windows are nasty can't see out them hardly. Decks were filthy black and nasty with nobody even attempting to clean it. Windows around the ship were nasty and build up impaired a clear beautiful view of the ocean. Really only big deal if you like eating inside where it's not windy and enjoy a pretty view.

Announcements and safety meeting:

The man over the intercom that does all the communicating I couldn't understand a word he said I really did try. During the mandatory safety meeting at predetermined meeting points a guy talking about all the rules and where and what to do in emergency was all a waste of time. His heavy accent combined with the ability to talk 150 words a second and slight slur I couldn't make out but every 5th word he said. So there goes safety info. By day three of him taking over the intercom at intermitent points through out the day. It got to the point I just tuned him out and got annoyed when he had anything to say. I'm sorry I know it's not the gentlemen fault but I feel key communication is important to your vacationers, and are able to understand him. Every day with the 5am 6 am 7 am every hour something to say it seemed when I was sleeping.

Customer service:

When it came to service or cleaning in the room gusti was the man always taking care of us. Remembered our names always had my ice on stock every couple hours. He was awsome. But it was another ball game when it came to buying things on the ship. Like day one we were looking at purchasing  our photo taken before getting on the ship. We pulled the picture from bottom shelf to be able to look at it and the salesman got all bent out of shape threw his handful of pictures down and said you can't touch grabbed it and put it back. So tell me do you really want to pick it back up and cause a big deal on day 1. We said just won't buy it if we can't look at it and went on about our day. On day three when it came time on the morning we got to first stop. We had to meet for our exercions before getting off the ship the workers that were suppose to help guide us off the ship and answer questions both stops and both times they just threw there finger up and said go that way over there. Tried to ask a question and the refused to answer and said go that way they will help you. There was nobody there to help tell us where to go. We had to figure it out on our own. There was no organization what so ever.

Room conditions:

Being a previous cruiser I would have hoped to at least had a cabin with a window. The room decor was ugly And the TVs are old as dirt so for using TV as information the quality is a step up from black and white and sound has high pitch screams. Our safe stopped working on day 1 and it took till day 3 for them to get it working again. no way of locking a laptop up in the small safe. Not a big deal but just to keep in mind. When at home I was hoping the rooms had an iron for dress clothes for dinner. When it came to first dinner I needed to iron my dress shirt. Big problem on the whole floor of main deck level 2 of i don't know how many hundred people on that level. There was one room maybe 20 feet long by 8 feet wide put 4 sets of stacked washer and dryer and one iron board and iron located directly behind the laundry room door where you get the opportunity to be hit my every person struggling to make it past the door and you in the way of if ironing. Take that and 1/2 the people on my level trying to do the same thing. Was 3 things painful getting hit by the door, the waiting forever in line to almost miss dinner and learning not waiting to do it near dinner time.

Cost of cruising:

$27 dollars for a bucket of beer. I know there's a huge mark up on stuff in vacation. That's just ungodly high. $4.25 for the 1.5l bottle of water waiting in your room. Really?

Adult only:

Areas marked off for only adults was 24 hours kids running around it. Nobody stoping kids from entering. It's one thing to take your kids with you to sit up there with you. But another for kids to just be running screaming doing hot laps playing tag.

Smokers:

The one place you can smoke outside which is marked off. It is a great idea and I'm ok with being away from others while I partake in a cigarette. But it's located next to the venalation tube for supplying cabins air. So we're all smoking next to it and it's the loudest place on the ship. Another point I'm ok with having a bad habit and willing to put up with the sound but to the smokers who want to relax on a lawn chair and be able to smoke a cigarette without moving,  prepare for a constant headache. Add account for sound of fast wind and the large fans your not having a convo with anyone unless your nearly yelling.

Food:

I was disappointed to find out they could not cook well for the buffet and the choices were limited everyday same overcooked burgers with crappy soggy fries with under cooked hot dogs. Last cruise there were so many little stands around the ship with so many different styles and regions of food. When it came to dinner time in the fine dine. The food selections did change slightly day to day but I'm a steak guy. Last cruise I asked for 2 sirlions up front and they brought it to me all day. Victory there is a $20 upcharge to upgrade from crap to sirloin. There was no large portions I felt like I was having a 7 course meal. 1 tablespoon of mashed potatoes really?

Previous customer or Vifp:

I got no special treatment or any perks in fact I got a worse room than my first cruise. Only thing they did was give us 1 small free bottle of water on day 1. Woot a whopping $1.00 retail value.   I have run out of space.

Cruise Photos

As soon as we were pulling into port you could see all the beautiful ships lined up and apongetting close enough to see which was victory you could begin to notice the years of neglect. It was rusty and non appealing. This is just from glance on land
The staff was great and a pleasure to entertain us at dinner. As far as the food I was very upset. My previous cruises I could get amazing sirlions as many as I wanted and the choices of nice pleasing food. But on victory the food was very small portions and the free steak they offered was terrible. They wanted a $20.00 per plate upcharge for sirloin. The buffets were bad. I was upset to find not only was there hardly any variety they served the same food every day. The burgers coming off the grill were inconsistent and always burnt. Stuff under cooked. Said to say I had better buffer experience at ponderosa and I think there out of business pretty much or better at Golden Corral. My last experience there was always something new being put out food tasted amazing. First cruise I swore I would stay with carnival even after all the problems they Had in Alabama, but with the victory ride I don't think I'll ever be back to carnival. I hear many swear by noregion so I think I will be passing carnival up now.
As a second time cruiser to carnival I was really hoping to get bumped up a class last minute. I did not expect it though. No upgrades were given which was fine but when I realized I got shoved in an interior little windowless cabin I was pretty upset. There decor was something prehistoric. Pink counter tops and "queen" been or two twins pushed together they slide apart when your trying to sleep. When it came time for formal dine I soon learned that on our whole level of I don't know how many hundreds of people they had 1 iron and ironing board located behind a door you get hit with everything someone had to squeeze into this closet of a laundry mat. There was a line of i don't know how may people needing the iron.
Room service was ok but the staff that handled exercions or met in locations on boat were extremely rude and gave no guidance or answered any questions they just pointed finger and said go as you try to ask they just say go there they will tell you. By the time we got on land there was nobody to show us or tell us where we needed to go. Had to find out on our own. I was upset at the way they treated us and other people. Another reason I won't be back to carnival.
The one thing I did like about this boat was it had a big screen tv and a nice slide. Neither I used but liked the idea I could entertainment I was impressed with the dancing at dinner by the servers
No kids
Did not utilize many of the activities. The host of them I could not understand a word he says.
If it were not for the actual excursions and the destinations the trip would have been a total nightmare. I was so ready to get off the victory. It is bigger of the carnival ships and we had 3400 ppl way to many for things to have went smoother. Staff couldn't keep up with the demands of all the rude people on the ship.