Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Purser

Half of it was EXCELLENT!!! Half was not.

Sail Date: May 02, 2015

Room Type: Suite

This was my first cruise.

The cabin (7295, mid ship, starboard side) was beautiful and comfortable.  The food was outstanding.

The service of cabin steward ( I Nyoman?) and restaurant personnel (Pacific restaurant: Victor & Junior) was excellent.  All crew members greeted me each time they were encountered: in elevators, halls, restaurants & venues. They were very attentive, pleasant & helpful.

I believe that the sounds of a venue should stay at the venue.  The music from the Lido deck (#9) was so loud - especially the bass - that my chest vibrated whenever I was outside, EVEN when I was on the deck outside my cabin!!  Walking through the pool area to get to the Mediterranean Buffet was painful to my ears - and probably damaging to them.  Ordinary conversation was not possible in this area.  Being outside - anywhere - while the Lido 'music' was being blasted was not an option for me.  Not very relaxing/restful or fun.  I don't know how the pool guests could stand it.

Frequent PA announcements by cruise director were useless, since they were difficult to understand or impossible to hear (due to 'music' and venue sounds).  The captain's announcements were easier to hear.

The on-board activities did not interest me, so I cannot rate them.

The ship-sponsored land tour - Eat, Drink & Dance - on Ocho Rios was disappointing... but could be easily improved.  The bus should leave on time... not wait for inconsiderate guests who were 30-40 minutes late.  The samples of food served at the two venues was insufficient to count as a meal.  Instead of two venues, keep Miss T's and serve a lunch of the same food samples they served (which were excellent... what there was of it).  Scotchies was not worth the stop, and they did not even offer water with the tiny food samples they provided.  Oddly, neither of these food venues had products/souvenirs to buy!!  The Drink portion - at Margaritaville - was fun.  I'd change the name of the tour to: A Taste of Jamaica... and just do the food (at Miss T's) & drink portion.

The Local land tour we took on Grand Cayman was excellent (not ship-sponsored).

I'll try another cruise - probably a different cruise line - to see if I get a different experience.  The blasting, chest-vibrating music is a deal-breaker for me, though.

Cabin steward (I Nyoman?)... waiters Viktor & Junior
Entertainment I did not go to these
I went with my group to karaoke, which was ok. No other activities interested me
Ocho Rios excursion was disappointing. Grand Cayman excursion was excellent
the 'origami towels' were charming... the steward excellent
Miami, Florida
the embarcation was a little frustrating... even with a vip pass
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Go to Miss T's for a meal... then Margaritaville
George Town, Grand Cayman

Stay away from Lido deck when the music is blasting... or wear ear protection.

1 Comment