Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Wonderful Time

Sail Date: January 19, 2015

Overall experience was very good.  Carnival should be proud of the ship and crew.

The Victory is scheduled for a Funship 2.0 upgrade in a few weeks but you could hardly tell it.  Condition of the ship is very good and the spirit and attitude of the crew and staff were great.   Except for the Captain who I met during the "Behind the Fun" tour.  He was clearly not in his best mood when we visited the bridge.  Angry

Arrived at the Miami pier at 11:30 AM and was on-board within an hour.  Embarkation and the lifeboat drill appeared to both be organized chaos but it seems that Carnival has it down to a science and things moved quickly and safely.  Had an inside cabin on the Empress Deck which was very quiet at night and the cabin steward kept it very clean for me.

Fitness room was packed the first few mornings at 6:30 but I had it all to myself on the final day at sea.  Equipment had seen it's better days but I managed to burn off a lot of calories regardless.

Breakfast and lunch at the Lido Buffet was good.  Wide selection of fresh food and baked goods.  I loved the coffee - it did not have a bitter aftertaste like most coffee here in the US.  I was surprised at the amount of food people were eating and wasting.  The buffet plates are platters and some people were piling it on as if it were their last meal.  And leaving a lot of the food un-eaten on their platter.  Seaday Brunch in the Pacific Dining Room was very good.  But again people were being wasteful by ordering 2 or 3 entrees and taking only a few bites from each one.  I guess my Momma raised me differently.  Dinner in the Atlantic Dining Room was very good. Menu varied each night and it had some everyday offerings like steak and salmon.  Sid, the dining room Magician was very entertaining.  Also offered each night was a unique food that I never order at restaurants at home like frog legs and escargot.  The Warm Chocolate Melting Cake was my downfall!  Had one almost every night.  Used Room Service late one evening as was surprised when the food was delivered in about 5 minutes time.  Jimmy John's of the Caribbean.

Port calls were the same, just a different island.  They were a chance to get off the ship and stretch your legs and walk through a souvenir shop.  Yes, there are many shore excursions offered but I was not interested.  Walking in the warm sunshine with a cold beverage was good enough for me.  Having just one security entry point on the ship proved to be a bottleneck.  At Half Moon Cay we waited 20 minutes to get off the tender as people went single-file through the metal detector.  Not sure what the thinking is there - we were on Carnival's private island for only a few hours.  Did they expect us to find our build a weapon in a few hours while we were there?

Spent afternoons in a deck chair relaxing, soaking up the sun and reading a book.  I liked that Carnival has a quiet area with a smaller pool in the stern of the Lido deck.  The big pool with the loud music and activities was the other side of the Lido Buffet towards the bow.

Casino was big and the dealers were friendly.  Held my own at the roulette table but the slot machines were not very loose at all.  By the time 10:00 rolled around I was too tired for the disco, stage show or lounges so I can't comment on them.

Disembarkation was very smooth.  Put my bags out in the hallway the night before.  Woke up the next morning and had a leisurely delicious breakfast in the Lido Buffet and lingered there with a cup of coffee until they called my group.  I was off the ship and through Customs in under 30 minutes.

Would recommend Carnival to anyone and am considering a Fall 2016 New England/Canada cruise.  It's not a pure 'Party Ship" line like it was in the past.  It is what you make it and Carnival offers something for everyone.Happy

Ship is 14 years old but Carnivals keeps it in great condition. Both interior and exterior areas are clean and well maintained.
Food is flavorful with a wide variety of it. Not 5 Star dining but it's a good 3 or 4 Star.
Kastrinia of the Lobby Bar was wonderful. After a few tweaks to the standard Canrival receipe, she made a great Mojito.
Did not attend
Did not need it
Did not attend
Some were a bit pricy. A few hours at the Atlantis with a room for almost a grand? Really?
You can use the little lever on the air vent in the ceiling to control the room temperature!
Miami, Florida
Going back home, United Airlines baggage check-in was a hot mess.
Discovered the Pirate Bar which had a great local microbrew.
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)
Bottleneck created by the security screening could be improved.
Grand Turk Island
Turks Head beer at Jimmy Buffet's on the beach is the only way to spend an afternoon!

Select a cabin in the middle of the Empress deck. Lido Buffet and pools are 2 decks up. Dining room, casino and promenade are 2 decks down.

1 Comment