Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Anniversary

Sail Date: January 20, 2014

Booked through .  Was doing it through the internet but got a message that said to call and speak to a representative (to get either up to a $500.00 hotel or rebate coupon).  Called rep and cruise ended up costing $980.00+ instead of $767.10 on internet (rep was very nice but added $78.00 for travel insurance and $24.95 for her service.  Where port taxes, etc. were $189.10 on internet, they wound up being over $400.00 with rep.  I was then given a choice of a $50.00 hotel coupon or $25.00 rebate on credit card after I did a cruise rating because the rebates were based on the price of our tickets.  It was also our 40th anniversary and I was led to believe that something would happen on either Thursday or Friday night of our cruise.  Needless to say, nothing happened.  I booked the cruise late because my wife was taking care of her aged mother and was having trouble trying to get away and finding someone to look after her mother.  The cruise itself was OK.  We were supposed to have anytime dining, but when we arrived, we got late dining.  I tried to get it changed but with no luck.  They said since we booked so late, that was all that was left.  This was my third cruise with Carnival (the first was out of New Orleans.  The river rose and we had to go elsewhere to return and we almost hit another ship.  The Conquest couldn't sail back into New Orleans and had to go to another city.  Carnival bused us back to New Orleans.  That was an interesting trip.  The second was from Los Angeles to Baja California.  It was OK.  On the Victory, the food service was very slow the first two days.  Other people complained and never came back.  Dinner started at 8:15 and it was 9:40 before we were finished being served and eating (we didn't eat that slow-no one to talk to as we were by ourselves and the dining room was not that crowded).  Also, the entertainment (waiters dancing, etc.) was on the floor below us.  We had our maitre'd and one food server who tried and I tipped them $20.00 each extra at the end of the cruise in addition to Carnival's $11.50/day/person gratuities for the staff.  The food was about average, entertainment was good, and I liked the ship's layout.  I have been on a couple of other cruises with different cruise lines also.  This turned out to be about an average cruise.  Disappointed with the dining experience.  Grand Turk was OK and I liked Half Moon Cay and the bar-b-que (I was looking forward to pulled pork but got hamburgers and hot dogs instead).  Nassau had changed a lot since the last time I was there 47 years ago.

I liked the ship layout but think the rooms could be larger
Dining was disappointing, food was OK
Entertainment was better than most but not the best.
Miami, Florida
Grand Turk Island
It started raining when we were leaving
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)
I liked the bar-b-que and pool at the island. Also the beach!
Still has good and bad parts.

Elevators were slow!