Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

A Little Dissapointed

Sail Date: September 30, 2012

I regret to say that I was a little disappointed with the Carnival Victory. I am not new to cruising or to cruising with Carnival. I normally LOVE Carnival. I have sailed with The Valor twice, the Liberty & the Freedom. I enjoyed each of these previously sailed shipsbut the Victory lacked in several categories in comparison. I have listed the things that really stood out and contributed to my disappointment: I do want to say that I may continue to sail Carnival but I would not recommend sailing on the Victory.
In summary, The Victory should pay attention to the survey results that people take the time to complete. I am certain that they would be able to identify common items that have been commented negatively on and implement some recommendations and/or make some changes to better their guest ratings. Other ships within the Carnival fleet are well rated and there is a reason for this other Carnival ships are paying attention and listening to their customers and they are wise enough to know it is the little touches that often make the biggest difference!

Pros: You can visit many island within your 7 day cruise

Cons: Food

Recommends Carnival Victory? No.

Serious lack of hand sanitizer stations! OK\, this surprised me the most ...with the media and bloggers out there scaring people with their Cruising can make you very ill statements not to mention that it is a fact and unfortunate that too many people do not wash their hands as they should and that sanitizing can cut back on chances of catching such illnesses. The more available\, the more people will use them! There were hand sanitizing stations at each end of food stations however\, they were not monitored & refilled when they were empty) also\, unlike other ships; there were none outside elevators\, main entrances or on commonly used areas of the ship. Twice during the week\, when boarding the ship after being on an island\, the 1 and only hand sanitizing station that was outside to use before boarding was empty and NO-One monitored so that it could be refilled and used by those guest that had not boarded yet!
Food at buffet (side note- long wait time in lines)
**Poor food options (there was not a day that had a nice touch like other Carnival ships) A lot of the same thing each day and no change-up between lunch vs. dinner at the buffet.
** Did not replenish items that had emptied out i.e. ginger for Sushi\, cranberry sauce on turkey day\, etc.
** Milk was not always cold
No trays to carry food anywhere on the ship! This made things more difficult to carry food from buffet and through the crowds while looking for a place to sit.
No straws at drink stations. I was not the only person on this cruise that was disappointed to find that straws; such a simple & inexpensive item was not available. (Most cruisers do look for straws\, especially those of us that are germ conscious!)!
Same movie in room all week- OK\, not a deal breaker .but seriously? I have been on many other 7 day Carnival cruises where as they rotate the movies shown in your room so that every night you were not watching the exact same movie while relaxing in cabin. Just another simple\, inexpensive thing that Victory could embrace to step-it up.
Our cabin stuart was excellent.
Lack of Captain Interaction. On all other cruises (including other Carnival cruises)\, the captain would make a short announcement everyday either about the weather\, the ship\, or just to say I hope you enjoyed your day in insert destination. Because it is frequently done on other ships and most likely because my radar was already up due to the above mentioned things I was experiencing on the Victory\, I did notice the lack of interaction from the Captain to the guests\, on the Victory. Additionally\, although there were only 2 ports where there was another ship alongside the Victory; usually\, when one ship leaves\, there is friendly horn banter between the ships saying good-bye etc. This banter brings laughter & cheering from passengers on these ships (part of the cruise experience). None of this happened on the Victory.