Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Great ports, not great ship

Sail Date: January 08, 2012

The pros: Very nice crew on the ship, food at dinner was descent, wonderful ports visited, good amount of entertainment on the ship, great daycare for kids.
The cons: Cruise ship very tachy and old appearing, many very trashy passengers, several elevators not working, no local (Carribean) cuisine on ship
The details: We went on a cruise last year with a different, European line, and loved it. We were very excited about this cruise until we were on board. My wife and I have never seen so many trashy people in one place. Mullets galore, obscenely obese, toothless, trashy clothes, poor hygiene... We could not understand how people could afford a cruise if they could not practice personal hygiene.
There are many people from Puerto Rico that were very trashy and rude. They would push you out of the way without so much as an "excuse me" and the notion that mullets and tramp stamp tattoos are out has not made it down to the island. There were also many Americans from the mainland that were somewhat trashy, but overall the Puerto Rican's won that contest. My wife and I, however did meet quite a few nice people as well. It was especially apparent during the two formal dinners. Many people were in Tuxedos, nice suites or sport-coats, and then there were some with cut-off jeans, T-shirts with stains, and sleeveless shirts.
Our waiter at dinner was very nice, but the other waiters at breakfast and lunch were mostly mediocre at best and the Maitre Des were a bit obnoxious. The first night's dinner was open seating and we found our table they we were assigned to for the rest of the cruise. It was a two person table and there were 3 of us including our daughter. I informed the Maitre De that this would be too small a table for 3 people and he informed me that the cruise is very full and that is all they had. After telling him that 3 people were not going to sit at a small 2 person table, he said that if they could find something else they would leave a card in our room the next day. They did however find seating that accommodated the 3 of us, however I did notice that there were many people squeezed into 4 person booths with a char added at the end to fit 5 at these booths. That looked pretty cramped and these people in the extra chair were in the way of the waiters and patrons walking in the dining room. Additionally, every time we sat in the dining room for breakfast or lunch, which is open seating, the Matre De would try to sit us the furthest from a window as possible and when we would ask to sit by one of the many open tables near a window, they would get huffy. After all "Why would anyone want to look out at the beautiful Carribean islands on beautiful days?"
The food was descent, but there were no carribean dishes except for conch fritters one night. Reinforcing the tachy decor, there was an appetizer section of the menu called "Didja"...as in "did you every try." I guess it is supposed to be "exotic" food, but it included, what I consider, not very exotic food. The "Didja" appetizers included oysters Rockefeller, seared ahi tuna (actually was very good, but very small portion), escargot (nicely prepared as well), and frog legs (didn't have). The meats were good and cooked to the proper temperature and my wife said the salmon was pretty good as well. Overall, I thought the food was good considering that Carnival is one of the lesser expensive cruise lines.
The ports visited on this cruise were wonderful! 5 amazing ports on a 7 day cruise is amazing. The last cruise we were on (and only other cruise) only went to 3 on a 7 day cruise and one included the Bahamas, which is nothing as nice as these ports. It's almost too hectic going to 5 ports in 7 days, although our 1 day spent at sea was not that nice because the ship and it's patrons are not the ambiance we cared to be around.
Overall, we're reconsidering if we'll go on a cruise again, but, for sure, not with Carnival.

Pros: Islands visited

Cons: Tachy ship, trashy passengers

Recommends Carnival Victory? No.

The staterooms were nice and clean. The ocean view staterooms were larger than the inside cabins and were larger than our last cruise. There was good functional closet space. The only negatives was that there was no fridge and no flatscreen TV, just the older tube style TV that takes up too much room.
Our waiter for dinner was very good and wonderfully pleasant, but we were very lucky. Our cabin steward was not overly friendly, but not rude. We had to ask a few times before things were done and I tipped her $20 on the first day because she looked a little grouchy and I wanted her to be as accommodating as possible (my wife is pregnant). The room was always perfectly clean and there are 2 robes in the closet. The biggest problem was to reach her for a request (like extra hangers). Your supposed to page her from the room phone, but that never worked, so I would call the front desk and they would tell me that they would relay the message, but they never did. Not really her fault however.
The ship's decor was very tachy and old looking, but it was clean. There are many 2 floor dining rooms which did not add anything to the beauty of the rooms and in the main buffet dining room, I don't think a single person went up to the second floor sitting area. With all the 2 floor dining rooms (3 in total), there was less space for lounges and shopping. It was also a hassle to get to the aft dining room. You have to go down to the second floor walk all the way aft and then go up to the third floor. Not really a big deal, but worth mentioning. Also worth mentioning is that 3 of the elevators, 2 being in one of the same areas (out of 4) were not working. The decor is dark green with leopard and stripe print throughout the ship, very tachy. The dining room has these bare-breasted mermaid statues that just looked tachy. I could care less about the bare-breasts, but it did add to the extreme poor taste of the ships decor.
Much more entertainment than the last cruise I was on. There were 4 comedy shows a night: 2 family friendly shows with 2 different comedians and 2 adult shows. They had small bands playing while people were swimming. They had the shows in the large theater nightly that were descent. The casino was pretty good as well.
There was pay per view movies and free movies on the tv. There was also nightly movies playing on the big screen above the pool.
Camp Carnival is why we picked this cruise, but my 2 1/2 yo daughter didn't like it after 45 minutes and started crying. So that was that. Every time we approached the area of the kids play room she would start to cry. I think the problem was not with the staff or the facilities, which seemed very nice, but she didn't connect and play with any of the other kids. When we dropped her off the first (and only) time, I stayed with her for a little while to get her acclimated. She was trying to say "hi" to the other kids, but they would just ignore her. There was also only about 7 kids in the room. Too bad, but not Carnival's fault. I'm not really sure how they could make this better either. The program seems really nice and they give you a nice cordless phone in case they need to reach you or you them. You return the phone at the end of the cruise.