Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Really Carnival? Really?

Sail Date: September 18, 2011

So, I had previously cruised with Princess, but due to the price I decided to give Carnival a try. We got this beautiful state room with an oceanview for a fabulous price. The wait staff both in the dining areas and the room were incredible, but the entertainment was terrible. There was one funny comedian and one semi funny comedian, but the magic show wasn't very good - even though the man was funny and seemed very nice, and the dancers were ridiculous. They say it's going to be a family show and then these girls come out in a white sailors shirt and rip it off to reveal a bikini, but then they danced like cheerleaders. It's like pick your freaking target audience Carnival, if you want to be the fun ship, make it more obviously targeted towards younger folks, but if you want to cater to families, have better entertainment. I think that the staff try, but compared to my last cruise, the entertainment was mediocure at best! In addition, they cancelled one of our ports, which would be understandable except that for the last 5 weeks before our cruise, they had also cancelled that stop, so it seems like they should come up with a different plan.

The food wasn't very good at all, a lot of the food was stale, the exception would be in the dining room for dinner, the food was decent, but the options weren't always great.

There also weren't very many things to do on the ship itself. I mean we had a good time because we can make the best out of it, and if you are looking for a ship to come on to relax and not do much, then this wouldn't be a bad ship, but if you want a ton of fun activities and good entertainment, pick something else.

Pros: The wait staff was incredible, the ports were pretty awesome too, stateroom was really nice

Cons: the entertainment was terrible, food wasn't very good, really small ship

Recommends Carnival Victory? No.

I think that the design of the ships rooms were great, they were decorated very well and everywhere was always very clean, however, I didn't like the layout very much. On my last ship you could stand on the bow of the ship and watch the water pass under you (think Jack and Rose -- Titanic), this one wouldn't even permit you to go to the front of the boat.

Also, the accessibility was terrible! In order to get to our dining room, we had to go up to deck 5, walk over to a different elevator and go down to deck 3. The layout was just terrible, and there wasn't very much to do on the ship. In addition, half of the time they blocked off the top 2 floors so we couldn't even access the fitness center or the minigolf area (due to wind, even though it wasn't too strong).
I was kind of disappointed that they didn't do anytime dining in the beginning, but I actually ended up liking having the same dining time with the same people. Also, our wait staff and the food in the dining room was pretty good. Their chicken and seafood was incredible and most of the appetizers were delicious, but the beef wasn't very good at all. Three times, the people at our table (including myself once) ended up sending it back.

They have 24 hour pizza, which was okay, but pretty greasy. The buffet food wasn't very good either, (except the cheesy bread!)
Terrible, please see notes above.
Excellent, we had the oceanview. It had a huge window and was very big compared to my last room and the bathroom was really nice and they included a lot of included soaps and lotions for use. However the one complaint I have is that there was no refrigerator.
Excellent.
Castries, St. Lucia
We went ziplining. It was pretty sweet! We also LOVED the shopping here.
Don't Miss: The shopping
Bridgetown, Barbados
People are super friendly and the beaches were incredible but be careful of the sneaky merchants that try to give you services you don't request and then charge you. Your safest bet is to say no thank you.
Don't Miss: Beaches
Basseterre, St. Kitts
This island is the most beautiful out of all the ones we saw. The shopping wasn't spectacular, but the rainforest is incredible and the island is so well preserved and gorgeous. Also, we loved the monkeys.
Don't Miss: Monkeys
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Well, our ship didn't dock this time, but I've seen it before and I will say that it's important to see both sides of the island. The people are friendly, shopping is really good and I like how different the culture is on each side of the island.
Don't Miss: Shopping on the french side of the island
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Definitely check out coral world if you can, that's pretty sweet, but make sure to do the activities otherwise it's a bit of a waste. We got to swim with sealions! The shopping is pretty good here too.
Don't Miss: Coral World