Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Not the best cruise I've had

Sail Date: August 28, 2011

Traveled As: Family w/young children

The ship is very dark. The decor is done in mosaic- mostly a dark green. I've been on other cruises and this ship felt like were at the bottom of the ocean not taking a cruise on a boat above water. The seated dinners were excellent. It is a good first time cruise boat. The buffets were not very good- no variety at all. Great boat for kids, not a romantic ship at all.

Pros: The Ports

Cons: The other customers

Recommends Carnival Victory? No.

The stateroom was good, well set up and roomy. The bathroom size was excellent. I just didn't like all the pink or salmon color throughout the room and bathroom; it was a bit much. The beds were somewhat comfortable. We always had an abundance of clean towels and the room steward was nice and friendly.
The ship had an easy layout. It is easy to find locations based on the info in the evlevator and the daily cruise activity flyer but not by the diagrams outside of the elevator- a magnifying glass is needed to read it. Like I said the ship is very dark and it doesn't help for reading black print. The staterooms were nice and bright... pink.. but bright. The ship was always clean which was nice.
The buffets were no good. It was the same food everyday. There is only one other option for eating if you don't want the buffet and if you don't get there for the hours they are open then you are stuck with bad buffet food or you have to wait until you get off the boat- which is what I did. The evening dinners are still great, that has not gone down in quality or variety. Definetly make it a point to eat in the dining room.
The staff was very good. Everyone was friendly. Security could have been better to stop people from smoking in undesignated areas and to stop children from running into others. Some stations like the buffets seemed understaffed.
There was always something to do especially for kids. This is more or a family style cruise not for romance although two couples were married on the boat. I did not partake of activities on the boat because I wanted to relax. It was hard to relax with the constant announcements over the PA system by the cruise director. It never failed that when I would fall asleep there would be an announcement for some activity. They should leave the announcements to important and necessary announcements and keep it to the hallways for the activities announcements.
We took our 11 yr old son with us and he couldn't have been happier. He had is fill of the pools and activities and all the pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs and fries he could eat as that is what was available all day long. Like I said no variety in food. This is definetly the boat if your goal is to please your kid(s).
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Great beach and food.
Basseterre, St. Kitts
We did the fort tour. It was excellent.
Bridgetown, Barbados
We didn't have a good time because we asked the taxi if the beach they were taking us too had the sea turtles. they said yes, which was a lie. Then on top of that the beach was rocky once you were in the water. I would make sure to buy an excersion for this island so you will get what you paid for. It wasn't worth the expensive cab fair.
Castries, St. Lucia
St. Lucia was awesome. We did the Volcano tour. It was awesome. Don't forget your swimsuit. You wll need it for bathing in the volcanic mud.